Chapter 2: Simulation Briefing

CIA Academy of Espionage

Washington, DC

Red Team Preparations Bunker

December 17th, 2015

1340 hours

Ben POV

Flashback Start

When I walked in with Erica, everyone immediately froze. Most people's eyes were bugging out. Half practically had their jaws hitting the floor, and the rest dropped whatever they were holding in shock.

I turned towards Erica, who for a split-second had an almost unnoticeable look of nervousness cross her face before it hardened into a glare. "What? Is there a problem?" she growled.

Everyone broke their shock and quickly got back to whatever it was they were doing, not wanting to get attacked by Erica.

Mike stepped forward to greet us. "Hey Ben, Erica. You guys ready to do this?" he asked.

Erica rolled her eyes. "Of course. The real question is: are you?" she fired back.

Mike chuckled. "Woo-hoo-hoo! Feisty! Anyways, can we talk for a sec, Ben?"

I nodded, turning towards Erica. "Excuse me," I said, as I then turned to follow Mike.

"What's up, man?" I asked, once we were out of earshot of everyone else.

"Bro, how on Earth did you get the ICE QUEEN to show up? She never does!"

"I'm not entirely sure. I guess I managed to convince her that it'll be good to practice working with a unit larger than a squad," I answered, shrugging.

Mike then got a mischievous smile on his face. "Or, it could be because she likes you!" he said in a sing-song voice.

I blushed a bright red. "Stop, dude! I'm pretty sure she doesn't!" I asserted, although secretly, I hoped it was true.

"Yes, she does!" he sang.

"Bro, stop it!" I all but shouted at him. "She doesn't like me!"

Mike facepalmed. "You oblivious gray boulder! It couldn't be more obvious if Chip and Hank beat it into your head together with 100-pound dumbbells! Let's be honest, there are only three people that could convince her to do such a thing: her grandfather and her parents. And considering that you're not any one of them, I'm betting she likes you too. Besides, from what I've seen and heard, you're closer to her than anyone else apart from her three family members.  Let's look at the evidence:

1. She's willingly made physical contact with you outside of hand-to-hand combat.

2. She's actually smiled at you. A REAL smile, mind you! 

3. She trusts you more than anyone, save her family. And even that's a big maybe, as she might just trust you more than them!

4. WHEN SHE WAS UNDER THE EFFECTS OF TRUTH SEDATION, SHE STRAIGHT-UP ADMITTED THAT SHE FELT SOME ATTRACTION TOWARDS YOU BACK WHEN WE WERE FRAMED FOR TREASON AND CONSPIRACY TO KILL POTUS! GRANTED, SHE SAID 'IT'S COMPLICATED,' BUT SHE STILL FELT IT!"

Mike was practically screaming with exasperation by the end. It's a good thing we were out of earshot of everyone else...

He took a few deep breaths, needing air after his long-winded rant.

Mike groaned. "It would take a great deal of obliviousness not to realize it, and frankly, it's getting on a lot of people's nerves. You are thawing out the Ice Queen, something that nobody has ever done since Joshua Hallal pre-SPYDER. Not even her parents managed it. Even Catherine, a literal ray of sunshine and her mother, couldn't do it.. You did, man. That's why I'm not surprised that she showed up because of you. That's why I think she likes you. You better pounce soon, dude. She's shipping out by the end of this year. You gotta man up."

I sighed. "I really hope everything you say is true. But let's pull a Cyrus and push that aside. Focus on the mission. You ready to wreck the Blues?"

A grin came on his face. "Oh yeah. Let's go!"

We headed back to the briefing room, where everything went according to plan. Since I knew it was Erica's first time in a large planning setting, I decided to present a plan myself and ask for her opinion on it. To everyone's surprise, she had no problems with my plan, and voiced her approval.

"It really is a good plan, Ben," she said.

I smiled and blushed a little at the praise, which didn't go unnoticed. Some people wolf-whistled, while a third-year shouted, "OOH, LOOKS LIKE THE ICE QUEEN'S GOT A CR—!"

Erica quickly turned to the girl and gave her a hard glare. "You finish that statement and I will find you, torture you, and kill you. Clear?" she interrupted in a dangerously calm voice.

The girl gulped, nodding quickly while everyone else promptly shut up.

Wanting to diffuse the situation quickly, I clapped my hands. "Listen up! Let me explain real fast the rules of the radio and other equipment!"

I proceeded to explain how if you were a fireteam leader, you were the team name, then Actual as your call sign. I then explained all the other jargon, including how to request mortar fire. Finally, I taught them how a laser designator works. I seemed to understand the subject better than everyone except for possibly Erica, even though this terminology and equipment was used by the military and not as much by the CIA.

"Everyone good? All right, get in your groups. Let's gear up, get evil. Clock's ticking! Go! Go! Go!" I ordered.

Everyone got in their groups as we moved to finish prepping for battle...

Flashback End

Quidditch16 caught an Easter egg in the last chapter: a Star Wars reference.  There will be several such Easter eggs in the future (although not necessarily from Star Wars only).  Do you think you can find them?  I'll have a complete list up when the story is complete (which is far, far in the future).

Also, for anyone wondering, Berica and Zike are definitely going to happen.  It will take time, though.  But for now, that's all folks!  Let me know if you've got any questions, and I'll try to answer them ASAP.

Stay safe, everyone.

 - ADF-2