Chapter 13: Awakening

CIA Academy of Espionage

Washington, DC

Nathan Hale Administration Building

December 18th, 2015

1100 hours

Alexander POV

When I finally awoke, I recalled the very strange dream I had last night. Cath, Ben, Erica, and I were in a spot in the countryside, and I viewed the whole spectacle from another perspective, being able to see all four of us. I then realized something: this was in Hereford, England, close to the headquarters of the British Special Air Service. I had been here before with Cath, when I was on a mission, still unaware that she was with MI6 like the fool I was.

There were some rather odd details in the dream. We were all many years older. Cath and I were both middle-aged with a couple of gray streaks and wrinkles, but she somehow looked as beautiful as ever. Ben and Erica appeared to be in their mid-20s. My dream self made a joke about my father objecting at a wedding. Apparently Ben and I were betting that he would.

'Whose wedding?' I wondered.

While observing, I saw more: identical golden glimmers from something on mine and Cath's left hands. There was also a silver band on Erica's hand. It had a single, small ice-blue diamond that matched her eyes. Next to it was another ring made of steel and... the bottom section of a bullet casing?

I quickly pieced together what was happening, and smiled brightly.

'Maybe this happens in the future?' I wondered, hoping that was true.

Then I remembered that dreams could sometimes be the product of our own desires. I felt a little sad by the fact that this wasn't a confirmed glimpse into the future and just a man's own greatest wishes, but I pushed it aside, enjoying the scene and the happiness it gave me until I awoke.

Thankfully, Ben was still between Cath and I, asleep, but alive. Safe.

I had been the one to recruit him. Even though I was a fraud then, I was still considered the best in the Agency, and whenever you send the best on a recruitment mission, the potential asset is always a great one.

He proved himself to be a great asset. Despite a lack of spy skills early on, he was always the one to figure out the enemy's plans and stop them, something which even my father couldn't do when he was involved on the missions.

I had come to think of Ben as one of my own, especially since he had helped me improve myself and bring my family back together. This parental affection escalated further when Cath and I managed to figure out that Erica liked Ben more as a friend, no matter how much as she denied it. We had no trouble mercilessly teasing her about it, commenting on how Ben would be a wonderful son-in-law.

We weren't exactly joking, though. We were 100% serious that Ben would be a great son-in-law.

Like their friends, we shipped the two hard.

We actually had no idea what this meant until a couple of years ago, when we found Zoe, Chip, Jawa, and Mike discussing something called "Berica." When we asked what it was, they explained everything. We are now referred to as the "mom and dad of the Berica Shippers."

Of course, Dad being Dad, he wasn't pleased with this idea, given his whole icy persona. Also, there's the fact that he's quite protective of his granddaughter. If he were to give a shovel talk to Ben, he would actually mean it, and would have a plan to torture and kill Ben and dispose of the body, all while having an airtight alibi. Of course, Cath and I are just as protective of Erica, if not more. However, we don't feel the need to give a shovel talk when Berica finally happens. We know and trust Ben well enough.