Chapter Four

Ciden

It was storming.

Ciden, Grace, and Jamie were just walking through a little village near Picatto when it started pouring. It had gotten cold and the rain didn't seem to stop any time soon, so they decided to stay in an tavern for the night. Grace thought it was still too dangerous, but they didn't exactly have many options.

She had been anxious since the moment they set foot in their room, expecting someone to break in to rob or kill them any minute.

She walked up and down in their small bedroom, which also unsettled the others, so Jamie tried to calm her down. "Would you please stop walking holes into the floor? I mean, the floor isn't exactly nice to look at, but does it really deserve that?"

When she didn't react to his joke, he tried again. "Look, it's going to be fine, alright? It doesn't help us when you're walking around the room like you're practically waiting for a fight. You're only making us nervous, too. Sit down or get some sleep. Ciden and I can keep watch. You haven't really slept in two weeks."

Grace stopped walking. She looked at him, thought about his words for a few seconds, and eventually nodded. Then she went to bed without saying a single word.

"Is she always this restless?" Ciden asked as soon as he was sure she was sleeping.

Jamie sighed. "Unfortunately, yes. It's been a while since the last time I saw her calm and peaceful."

"How long have you known each other?"

"We met seven years ago. More precisely, I ran into her seven years ago. Literally." Jamie smiled at the memory of that day. "I tried to steal her ring."

"And let me guess, she noticed, ran after you, and threatened to kill you?" He could imagine that just perfectly.

Jamie shook his head, grinning. "Oh no. She noticed, ran after me, almost dislocated my arm, and then threatened to kill me. But when she realized that I was actually homeless, she gave me a bag full of gold so I could buy food, clothes, and get a room somewhere."

Ciden would have never expected something like this from her. "She doesn't seem like-"

Jamie didn't let him finish that sentence. "Please don't say she doesn't seem like she would do such a thing. Don't make the mistake of thinking she's a heartless killer without sympathy or conscience, like most people do. You don't know her." His voice became quieter as he talked. "She saved my life. I wouldn't have made it through that winter without her."

Ciden had no idea about Jamie's life. He had never asked.

"There hasn't been a day since then we haven't seen each other. She was worried about me getting sick, and came by almost every day to look after me."

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to offend you—or her. I just tend to think the worst of people, you know? If they stab me in the back, or leave me, I would have already expected it, been prepared. Too many people have arleady done that."

"I get it. Trust nobody, and nobody can disappoint you. I've lived like this my whole life. So did she. But it was different between us. I knew I could trust her since the first day, and for whatever reason she trusted me too."