Chapter Thirty-Three

Grace

It was time. She just knew merely a few seconds lay between her and the reunion she had dreaded. While she had been standing there in the shadows with nothing but the faint glow of the moon illuminating the place, she had somehow managed to trick her mind into reconsidering everything. Was it truly the path she wanted to choose? Did she really have to do this? Couldn't she allow herself to be selfless in a situation like this, when she had every reason to?

The answers were simple: no, she didn't want to. No, she could leave it all behind and never think about this place again for the rest of her immortal existence. Yes, she could allow herself to be selfless, and everyone close to her would support her.

But there was one question with an answer that was far more important than the others: Did the people of this kingdom deserve to suffer under her father's reign for many years longer just because she had the chance to leave it behind?

No. No they did not. Especially since they couldn't escape like she had.

This and the fate her father deserved, which only she could fulfill, for all the awful things he had caused and all the lives he had harmed, kept her rooted right where she stood. Never again would she turn her back on her people and allow the king to get away with his crimes.

She was as prepared as she could be, considering who she was about to face. And so was Harriet. Her pal, who was already hidden yet in plain sight for her, was waiting for her sign in the middle of the garden. She had apparently built a wall of reflecting light in front of her, concealing her from any pair of eyes watching through the windows. Only Grace could see her, though not for much longer.

They couldn't speak, nor could Grace look at her for long, as she doubted that no one was watching from above. She trusted he would come alone, but not without guards in the windows, ready to rain arrows down on her, but still far enough to be out of hearing range. Her father wouldn't want anyone listening to their conversation.

A soft, salty breeze danced over the garden, shaking the leaves and flowers until a few were raining down around Grace. If she believed in signs from nature, she'd see this as an assurance that they would be successful. But she didn't, so she just enjoyed the sight of colorful petals sailing onto the ground in front of her.

Five minutes passed until she heard heavy footsteps approaching from the stairway. Harriet raised the final barrier, causing her to vanish entirely.

Grace forced one last breath of air into her lungs. It was stolen from her as soon as his large frame emerged between the columns.

Her heart seemed to stop.

Lightning flashed through her veins, igniting her blood, flesh, and skin.

With every step he took, she felt her body shrink.

Until he came around the corner.

She wanted to flee—an all-too-familiar reaction to his presence, even now when she should be so much stronger. By merely standing twenty feet away from her, he managed to deprive her of every bit of progress she had made over the years and wipe out her entire strength. It wasn't fair.

He had the same cold, dark eyes, the same way he observed her, the same disgusting look on his familiar face with his trimmed black beard, his brown hair that already showed hints of gray, and his crooked nose.