Chapter Thirty-Eight

Jamie

It had taken them five days to get there. Finally, they could look up at the high towers of one of the five castles in Maldevié—and the most impressive one. It was the oldest of them, the one that belonged to the entire Darsay family. As far as he knew, the other four were to be split between the four children.

It had felt as if they'd traveled to another world when they crossed the borders to this kingdom. The sun shone brightly on the lovely scenery, which was filled with vibrant leaves and flowers. There was no cloud in the sky, and even the climate seemed to have changed. Despite it being autumn, the air was warm and comfortable.

They rode the long, paved way to the front gates. Orange and yellow leaves sailed onto the white stones all around them. If there hadn't been such a devastating reason for their visit, Jamie could certainly have gotten used to that place.

Two guards dressed in light golden uniforms signaled them to halt. As soon as Jamie informed them that they had come because of Grace Emeran, they stepped aside and unlocked the tall rose-golden gates. It was easier to get in than he had anticipated. Maybe the Darsays knew to expect their arrival.

Soon they have reached the impressive archway made of white armor columns. Four young women in flowing white dresses hurried across the courtyard in front of the enormous staircase that unfolded before them. Another pair of guards, this time appearing to be two young women, waited at the ivory doors that towered over them. One of them motioned for four girls, no older than sixteen, to head over to them.

The girl with ember hair stopped in front of Makhi. "Shall we take the horses off your hands?"

Jamie smiled back and nodded. "Yes, please. We'll be here for a while."

She took the reins he offered her as he dismounted and led Makhi to the stables without further lingering. The remaining two girls followed with Jysra, Astrenna and Kaden's stallion in tow.

When Jamie tipped his head back to take in the grand and utterly beautiful castle, he didn't even notice Aderah approaching him. Maldevié surely had a thing for breathtaking architecture. He had noticed that while just riding through the kingdom. On the entire way, he had not once seen a building that showed any signs of poverty. At least one of the kingdoms had a kind ruler.

Aderah nudged him with her elbow to get his attention. "Will they actually help us?"

"I don't know," he sighed. "She told me to talk to them. That they would offer support. But many people make such promises that they don't intend to keep when it comes down to it."

He hadn't even meant to offend Tanner with that, at least not consciously, but he noticed the man shift uncomfortably out of the corner of his eye. Well, now he had plenty of time to redeem himself properly.

Much to Jamie's surprise, he was also the first to take the few steps towards the stairs. Tanner didn't wait for them as he climbed the thirty steps. Kaden hurried after him without a word. The whole ride there, the prince had barely spoken. Jamie couldn't blame him. He hadn't really felt like talking either.

Addrah turned her gaze back to Jamie, and probably saw the unnerved look on his face when she took his hand. Following after Tanner and Kaden, she pulled him with her and together they walked up the staircase.

The possibility of them walking back out with nothing was getting closer and closer. What would he do if they didn't help them? He knew he couldn't get Grace out of that cage on his own, and even his three companions wouldn't be enough. He would never be able to forgive himself if he failed. He wasn't sure if he would even survive that scenario.