Chapter Forty-Three

Grace

A grand castle of white stone rose high into the sky before her. White swirls, and arches, and engravings decorated the walls; white, pink, and light red roses lined the railings on either side of the large staircase, fanning out at the foot of the entrance. Girls in white dresses ran around, laughing and singing.

Grace felt more out of place than ever before. She must be in a different world. What was this place?

She and her father had just exited their carriage and were apparently waiting for something. She heard another carriage arrive behind her. When her father approached it, she figured the people in it were the ones he had awaited. The carriage door opened, and three young men emerged. Dyon was the first to step out, elegant as always. Another one with black hair and light bruises on his face, who could easily resemble a painting of Dyon a few years ago, stumbled after him. Then a brunette man, with a mask covering his face and a hood pulled over his head, jumped out. She only recognized Dyon, though his lookalike eyed her with a puzzled expression. She smiled at him politely.

She hadn't seen the little girl in the carriage until she carefully climbed down the two steps and fidgeted with her light blue dress. She couldn't be older than ten. Could it be Dyon's family? Grace must have forgotten all about them...

Grace remained still in her spot until her father came and led her up the stairs by gently placing a hand on her lower back. A pair of guards opened the doors for them, and they entered the foyer, where they were immediately greeted by an astonishingly beautiful woman with blazing red waves of hair. A small tiara adorned her head that sparkled in the light. At first, she extended a welcoming hand to Grace, who politely took it and smiled. This woman appeared confused by her presence as well, but quickly moved on to the men behind her. "I'm glad you came. It is an honor to have both of your families here."

"We are thankful for the invite," Dyon said. "It is an important event, after all."

"Indeed, it is," she agreed, smiling. "Let me show you to your quarters, where you can rest before tomorrow."

She walked ahead and up the staircase in the center of the foyer and around a corner. The walk there wasn't long, but enough for Grace to get lost in the beauty of the castle. It was unbelievable what humans could built with their bare hands.

The group from the second carriage was told to choose their rooms from the right end of the hall, while Grace and her father could choose two from the left. Grace quickly went to the one at the very end, wanting to distance herself from the man who kept eying her questionably, while her father chose the one by the stairs. She heard his door close and was just about to inspect her room, when the strange woman slipped into her room and locked the door behind her.

Grace wanted to protest, but was interrupted. "How have you been, dear?"

She tilted her head, trying to remember ever having seen this woman. "Quite alright, thank you," she answered politely.

The redhead frowned, seemingly concerned. "Everything is set in place. You will not have to worry about anything. Keiran arrived two days ago and is willing to help. We can free you tomorrow," she told her.

Grace couldn't quite follow a word she had just said. Who was Keiran, and why would he help free her? From what?

"I am not sure I understand," she slowly said. "Perhaps you confuse me with someone else..."