Chapter Twenty-Six

Ciden

They had reached the castle. It had taken them seven days, as he had guessed, and they were finally there.

Since they passed through Veladyn, people have been glaring at him. They didn't even bother to hide their hatred for him wherever they passed through. Ciden knew Vayne was the only reason none of them attempted to leap for him and slit his throat in the middle of the street. Everyone feared him, even though they had no idea he was their king's personal assassin. He was known as his ambassador, but the way he carried himself and the power that he radiated seemed to frighten them.

Vayne hadn't worn his mask since Grace had left. When they had passed the guards at the border between Merrisan and Alvaros, he had entered the kingdom as Dyon's ambassador, who had found the traitor of their kingdom, and locked the assassin away until the giant stone arches of the castle came into view.

Ciden should have known better than to expect them to come in through the back door. No, Vayne had to lead him up the main road and directly to the main entrance so that everyone knew he was back and would finally receive his well-deserved punishment.

He swallowed and looked up at the dark figures carved into the columns that rose up in front of the fifteen-foot-tall doors.

"Are you ready for your family reunion?" Vayne asked coldly.

Surely he did not expect an answer. Instead of waiting for Ciden to say something, he gave the guard in the right tower next to the gates a signal, and the great stone doors swung open a few seconds later. Calimir took a couple steps backward as they opened towards them.

The smell of cold stone and ancient wood reminded him of the night he'd escaped.

When Vayne pushed his horse forward, Calimir, who appeared as unsettled as his rider, followed him into the courtyard. Ciden heard the huge doors close with a thundering sound behind them.

The sight of the long, wide staircase that unfolded before them like burned parchment, as well as the archway it led up to, struck him right in the heart. 

Vayne dismounted, and two young men he didn't recognize hurried towards them. He handed the reins to the taller one, who led the horse straight to the stables. The other boy took Calimir's reins.

"Get down!" Vayne ordered Ciden harshly.

There wasn't much else he could do, so he obeyed and dropped out of the saddle, then watched as the boy rushed away with the stallion as soon as Ciden's boots touched the ground.

"Come with me." Vayne headed up the stairwell with the same grace as he does everything else. Even when he wasn't the assassin, he seemed focused on avoiding any noise and disappearing into the shadows as quickly as possible.

Ciden followed, well aware that he must look exactly like he felt at that moment—as if he were heading towards his execution. It wouldn't even be that far from the truth. His execution would come eventually. He simply didn't know when.

It took him a minute to master all fourty-five steps. Vayne was waiting for him at the top, impatiently.

"Welcome home," he murmured as he pushed open the heavy wooden doors leading into the palace.