Chapter 5

"No."

"But you haven't even let me finish yet!" Percy whined to Piandao.

"Any idea that starts with you entering a tournament with firebenders is a bad one," Piandao replied curtly.

"But I can win it! We both know I can, I'm already better than Fat and I can even challenge you!"

"Fat is much past his prime, and while your swordsmanship skills are excellent, you will need more than that to fight firebenders in an open arena."

"What about my bending?" Percy blurted out suddenly. Piandao finally turned his gaze from his painting, leveling his student with a fierce glare.

"In all the years you have been in my care, that has to be the single dumbest thing you have ever said. Maybe the dumbest thing I have ever heard." He said with cold neutrality, not giving away the barest hint at what he was going to do.

"But I'll have you and Iroh vouching for me. With the support of the Dragon of the West and the greatest swords master in the Fire Nation, no one can question my loyalty." Percy reasoned carefully to Piandao.

"Fire Lord Ozai can and will challenge it. Odds are you will be executed as a Water Tribe spy as soon as you bend." A spark of irritation showed through his usual calm facade.

"But I'm not only a water bender. I can't just stay in this castle for the rest of my life!" Percy pleaded, desperation clear in his voice. He needed to have something more to focus on than just endlessly training.

Piandao could understand this, he too had a bit of a wild youth, but he was older than Percy when he left home. Percy was just a teenager, even if years of training had caused him to grow. Percy was no longer the scrawny boy he had been when they first met. His constant training, coupled with the ridiculous amounts of food the boy ate had caused him to grow rapidly. He stood around 5'10 and weighed about 155 lbs. With his broad shoulders and messy black hair that obscured his eyes occasionally, Percy could easily pass as someone older than just 15 years old.

But that wasn't the main reason Piandao was reluctant to let Percy try this. He had grown quite attached to the boy. Piandao had never had children of his own, and Percy  was exactly that to him. The son he never had, even if Percy had only been in his care for less than 3 years. The young swordsman reminded him of himself when he was at that age. Wild, impulsive, and desperate to see the world. He knew if he didn't do something to appease Percy, he would only do something reckless out of his frustration. Piandao recognized that he had been no better when he was a teenager looking back.

Piandao sighed deeply, "I understand more than you know Percy. This tournament is not for some time. I will send Iroh a letter asking his opinion as he knows his brother best." The noble conceded reluctantly. "But you must swear that whatever decision Iroh and I come to you will listen." He added before Percy could get too excited. It did little to dampen the demigod's newfound hope.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" Percy rushed forward grabbing the surprised man in a massive hug before rushing outside to practice his swordsmanship and bending.

Master Piandao watched with a smile on his lips as Percy dashed around the training yard, destroying training dummies at a rate that rivaled even the elite firebending squads. His smile quickly faded when he thought of the situation that he was in. While Percy was young, he was the most naturally gifted swordsman Piandao had ever seen. His skills were still progressing and he could challenge him any day of the week. And that was without counting in his remarkable bending. The water seemed less like a tool, and more like a living thing serving him. It was a crazy thought but Piandao had met master waterbenders before and seen their displays. For them, the water was like his sword, a tool they had mastered. But for Percy, the water seemed like a living thing. If Percy could think it, then it seemed the water would do it too.