Chapter 24

Percy closed in for a finishing blow before he froze, completely immobile. He struggled but his armor suddenly started to groan before it began to squeeze him like a python as he was lifted off the ground.

Toph rose to her feet, blood trickling from her head and various cuts, "Percy… let me introduce you… to metalbending," Toph said with a smile before she clenched her hands into fists.

Percy's pained cry rang across the battlefield as Toph made his bracers collapse inward, with a loud snap his arms broke, leaving his hands dangling uselessly at his side.

Azula propelled herself forward towards the Avatar on twin jets of blue flame. Aang likewise covered himself in crystal armor as he charged towards Azula in turn. Azula came to a sudden stop, sending a powerful plume of fire at the Avatar. Aang crossed his arms to try and brace for the collision but was sent flying with a yell, slamming into a stone wall.

Azula quickly turned on her heel as she began sprinting towards Percy who was hovering in the air under the power of the blind earthbender. His arms were dangling uselessly at his side as blood poured down onto his hands.

She was caught by surprise as a column suddenly exploded from under her feet sending her flying away with a shout.

( - )

Percy stared at his arms as they hung at his side. He tried moving his fingers but his hands were completely unresponsive. He groaned again as the armor he had cherished and worn in countless battles squeezed him even tighter, making it hard to breathe. He reached out to stop Toph, to bloodbend her, and free himself, but he didn't want to and was anyways hindered by his hands being immobile. He looked at Toph as she stepped closer to him, "Don't worry, Water Boy, I'm not gonna kill you. I'm just going to make sure you know never to cross the greatest earthbender ever again."

She curled her fingers and the armor began to constrict, even more, there was a snap and Percy let out another shout of pain as a rib broke. Percy's shock over Toph's willingness to break his arms and crush him in his own armor quickly turned to rage. Toph grimaced but continued squeezing, not noticing the green glow beginning to build in Percy's eyes. Another loud snap rang out as two more ribs broke before Percy let out a primal roar and then the very earth shook in response to his pain.

Toph stumbled as the earth beneath her shook and tore itself asunder. It was unlike anything she had ever felt before, she always pushed the earth to do whatever she wanted and this was the opposite. It was like the earth was tearing apart itself, the entire catacomb shook before a section of the catacomb collapsed. A ton of earth, rubble, and stalactites falling to the ground as suddenly the night sky was able to see above them.

( - )

When Percy came too he was surrounded by a very different scene than before. A quarter of the catacomb was gone, completely collapsed, and in large piles of rubble. He swallowed thickly as he saw some crushed Dai Li bodies spread beneath the rubble, blood pooling around them.

He glanced down and saw his armor in pieces around him. He nearly threw up as he looked at his arms. From the elbow down they looked like they'd been put in a blender, the bones sticking out in places and blood everywhere. Percy rose to his feet before hobbling to a puddle of water, sighing in relief as he submerged his arms. There were a few quiet snaps as the bones popped back into place but compared to the pain he'd felt when they were broken it was inconsequential. After a minute he pulled his hands out of the water, revealing perfectly healed limbs. He clenched and unclenched his hands but felt no pain.

He looked around, seeing Aang and Katara standing together 30 yards as they moved over to the form of Iroh and Sokka sprawled out on the ground. He spotted a bruised but standing Zuko, however he didn't see Azula anywhere. He closed his eyes as he focused on the bodies around him, looking for her familiar heartbeat.