Chapter 10

Azula was the perfect picture of Fire Nation royalty, sitting proper within her palanquin gazing over the rolling waves through the thin sheet of silk, her face betraying nothing but a mask of cool indifference. On the inside, however, she was in turmoil. She was now betrothed. That fact alone was enough to make her want to incinerate someone, preferably her new betrothed.

After all, she had done for her father and he did this to her?! She had been the perfect daughter and the perfect heir. She had trained relentlessly to become a master firebender, she was ruthless and cunning. How could he do this to her? She wasn't a bumbling idiot like Zuko, she was the favorite child. It wasn't fair.

And that led her to her next issue. Both her brother and uncle had gotten themselves declared enemies of the nation. She always knew her brother was an idiot, but this was ridiculous. She didn't think that her brother or uncle were truly traitors. They were members of the royal family for Agni's sake.

But regardless of what had happened at the North Pole, their capture had been ordered by her father, so as the loyal daughter she was, they must be apprehended. Even if the idea of her brother in chains caused a strange and unpleasant feeling in her stomach. She quickly pushed the feeling away, it was a weakness and had no place in her mind. Her brother deserved it after all he had taken from her. She could not afford to feel sympathy for them, not now. Even if they were family, they got themselves into this mess, and they could deal with the consequences.

Azula sighed deeply for a moment. Well maybe she could put a good word in for them to father, but they would both owe her for this.

"Azula you're glaring too much, lighten up a bit! We're on the open ocean, you can't be gloomy out here." Percy's voice tore through her thoughts bringing her back to reality. She glanced over to see him grinning like an idiot. He was always so happy to be at sea. Azula almost smiled before reasserting control over herself, she had an image to uphold after all.

"Trust the Water Tribe barbarian to be so happy at sea." She tried for friendly teasing, but by the look on Percy's face, she must have vented a few of her frustrations on her loyal friend. She scowled briefly before resigning to spend the rest of the trip in silence lest she embarrasses herself again.

( - )

"Percy," Azula murmured so that only her bodyguard could hear. She received a nod in response acknowledging he had heard her. She took a moment to glance over the royal procession of 30 imperial firebenders she had brought from the capital, all bowed down waiting for her orders. "I want you to address the imperial firebenders."

"Wait, what?" Percy asked shocked. "I thought you were gonna give a speech or something."

"I was but, this seems like the perfect time for you to practice being my voice. This way you can learn to speak on my behalf when necessary. Oh, don't look so worried you probably know all of them from the palace anyway, not to mention you outrank all of them. Go on, you'll do fine." Azula encouraged her bodyguard, observing the look of panic on his face.

Percy muttered under his breath something about crazy friends and stupid speeches before straightening to his full height. He stepped forward to address the assembled firebenders below.

"Um hey there."

Azula groaned aloud at Percy's masterful opening words.

"So many of you protected Prince Zuko when he was a child, some of you may have fought with General Iroh during his campaign through the Earth Kingdom. Almost all of you are probably harboring some doubts or fears about capturing members of the royal family." Percy waited for his words to sink in while he desperately tried to make up the rest of his speech. "But we have a job to do and we can't fail in our mission. The plan is a good one and I'm not just saying that because Princess Azula is making me." He paused as laughter rippled through the soldiers below him. "It is a good plan. Remember your training and don't underestimate Iroh because I can promise you, he is more dangerous than he looks. They maybe members of the royal family, but they have shamed our nation. They are desperate and desperate men do crazy things so tread carefully. Long live princess Azula! Long live the Fire Nation!" Percy finished his speech with a roar that was echoed enthusiastically by the soldiers.