Chapter 7

The meeting with the Fire Lord after the tournament brought back all Percy's nerves rapidly. He was about to meet the Fire Lord, the man who burned Zuko and could kill him, alone.

He took a deep breath before he walked into the throne room, sinking onto a knee with his head bowed in front of the wall of flames. He stayed there for a minute before the Fire Lord spoke, "Rise, young one."

Percy stood tall and firm, but his hands were clenched in a white knuckled grip behind his back. He couldn't see the Fire Lord past the wall of flames but he could feel his eyes on him. "Why did you enter this tournament, boy?" The Fire Lord questioned him.

"I've been training since I was found by your brother about 3 years ago, I want more than to train all my life. I want to protect the princess, and to serve the Fire Nation," Percy spoke without falter, his life depended on this meeting after all.

"Your friendship with Zuko had nothing to do with the tournament?" The Fire Lord questioned him. Percy snorted, he had been drilled by Piandao what to say and do when the Fire Lord would ask him such questions. "No sir, I haven't spoken with Zuko in years. I'm sorry if my action was that of disrespect" Percy said, bowing his head low once again

"Oh? I thought you were close friends?" The Fire Lord questioned.

'We were sir, but his dishonor was a taint on me, one that I have cut out. I joined the tournament to serve the Fire Nation and protect the princess, not because of prince Zuko."

The Fire Lord was silent for a moment before he spoke once more. "You have proven yourself to be an excellent warrior. My daughter's life is not trivial. You will protect her, fight her battles, and kill her enemies, or your life will be forfeit. Is that understandable, boy?"

"Of course, sir," Percy hid a smile, he knew there would be a death threat some time throughout the conversation. He stood firm as the Fire Lord said nothing, the silence dragging on for a minute.

"For someone so young, you have a strong inner fire boy. One that is rarely seen, even among the sages. You have your orders, protect my daughter. But when you turn 18, you will return to me, the Fire Nation can make use of your skills beyond a mere bodyguard. Dismissed," The Fire Lord spoke aloud. Percy bowed low before making to  walk out of the throne room.

"I'm sorry my lord,"  he said with his head bowed, "I don't know if my guardians told you, but I am ready to accept any punishment you see fit for what I am about to tell you".

" And that is?" Ozai questioned.

Percy dropped to his knees, his head still bowed, "I am a water bender also my lord".

Ozai smiled to himself. "Oh that, yes I was told by Iroh in his letter, and Piandao also mentioned it. But, I admire the way you have come out come out plain with me. It shows you will a worthy and loyal addition to the service of the fire nation".

"Thank you for the praise my lord, but I am but a humble servant. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had kept that a secret from you".

"Your loyalty shall be rewarded young one. You may leave".

"Thank you my lord. Serving to guard the princess is enough reward for me".

With that Percy left the palace of the fire lord.

What he missed was the cruel smile stretching across the Fire Lord's face. His thoughts whirled around the young boy. His raw, still untapped power was obvious to see; it would soon be Ozai's to command. Let the boy mature and develop alongside Azula. He would return, and the power to conquer the Northern Water Tribe would be under Ozai's fingertips. "It seems you have finally done something useful for me, worthless brother of mine." He spoke aloud as visions of the Northern Water Tribe drowning in their element danced in his eyes.