10

Win winces, pulling his head away from Bright's grip but Bright doesn't budge and softly apologizes before dabbing the medicine soaked cotton on the bruise. Win says he hit the wall in his room accidentally but Bright knows better than to buy that lie and so he waits patiently, opening his mouth only to apologize when Win is hissing at his manuevers.

"Done" Bright says, plastering the bandaid on the cut on his forehead.

Win thanks him softly, still boring holes in the padded upholstery of the sofa, earning a sigh from the other before he gets up.

"You want some lasagna?" Bright asks, disappearing in kitchen.

Win says no, despite he's hungry and stays silent, fiddling with his fingers.

Win knows Bright is mad at him, and understands why would he be.

Things aren't always sunshine and rainbows, especially when they've got to be extra careful with their roles in university. Some notorious group of juniors had seen them holding hands at the terrace but before they could click pictures to spread, the couple had already gone separate ways. Now, that did not mean they were safe because word did spread about them and luckily, no substantial proof gave them a chance to handle their situation carefully. Win's frequent tour to the professor's office had dropped and Bright too, was firm in keeping the distance in campus, afraid he'd jeopardise Win's career. But despite being each other's concern, they couldn't help feel bitter at how the things have gone. With Win's semester exams upcoming, they hardly meet at Bright's place and sometimes when Win gets time, Bright would be busy turning down the girls his mother sends him with on blind dates. Although Win has worked on his insecurities, he can't help wishing Bright would find it in him to tell his mother the truth. It's not like she's entirely clueless, not after she saw Win at Bright's apartment in Bright's hoodie. In Bright's defence, he had no idea she was coming. Plus, at least he doesn't shut Win out, lying about his problems and snapping out whenever his boyfriend wants to talk. Like Win may have done a couple times already.

"I'm sorry" Win mumbles, hugging Bright from behind, "please don't be mad at me."

Bright sighs, interweaving their hands together but still not turning back.

"I'm not mad, just worried about you."

And then, swallowing the lump in his throat, "and also, afraid that one of these days, you are going to break up with me."

Win turns Bright back, raising his face and Bright obediently complies.

Bright's eyes welling up is a sight that shatters Win's heart in ways he never knew. Bright is the strong one in their relationship, the one who hears all of Win's ranting about his assignments and internships, who holds him firmly when Win whines about not wanting to leave Bright's apartment. How could he even think of something so absurd like this?

"I am not breaking up with you, Mr. Chivaaree" he assures, "it would be one step short of ruining my own happiness forever."

Bright smiles weakly through his glassy eyes. Win presses his lips against the other's, caressing him in his own tender way of  affirmation.

"I love you so, so much" Win's words slip in Bright's mouth and that's when Bright lets a tear fall off his eye.

"You what?" his voice trembles as the other pushes him against the kitchen countertop.

"I love you Bright, that's what" Win chuckles, kissing all of Bright's face until the other starts feeling ticklish and breaks into a giggle too.

"Stop tickling me!" Bright laughs, even when his eyes are glistening with tears.

But Win doesn't stop and Bright takes his chance to carry the bunny boy in his room, throwing him in his bed.

"Say that again" Bright pleads, looking straight into his favourite pair of honey pools.

Win stiffens because this is the first time they're lying in bed together and Bright hovering over him, asking to say it again somehow brings a promise of something Win has looked forward to for the past five months of their dating.

"I love you Bright" Win says, returning the intense gaze of his boyfriend.

The said man caresses Win's raven locks, biting his lips to suppress whatever is lurching his heart.

"I love you too" Bright says after a silence so thick they could cut it with a glass.

"I love you Win, so much I wonder if it's even possible."

Win smiles fondly, oh how sweet is the sound of angel's confession.

Bright leans down to meet the other in a slow, sensual kiss which elevates with each second passing by and a few minutes of agony later, Bright dares to say-

"There's a medicine store nearby. What do you think?"

Win nods hysterically, and Bright runs for his life.

🖤🤍