12

Bright is sitting with a circle of his faculty collegues, discussing the work affairs when he hears a loud roar of claps coming from the building's hallways.

"Jeez why are the kids so loud today?" Prof. Dim inquires.

"Don't you know it's the last day of third year students" Miss Jennie supplies, "they are asking each other out for the ball night after graduation ceremony. Aaaa it's so amazing to be young."

Saying that, she squeals dramatically and everybody laughs while Bright's mind wander off somewhere else.

....

Calling Bright is the first thing Win does after his last paper ends. He hasn't seen him for almost a month and a half, considering he was busy with preparations and Bright too was occupied with work stuffs.

"Fong and I are going to celebrate but I'm free after 4."

"Be here by 4:01" commands Bright.

Win laughs, seems like he is not the only one dying to see his boyfriend. His belly flips with the anticipation of what awaits for him in Bright's apartment.

...

"Win? Wake up, lazybones. Your mom's calling."

Win whines, hiding in Bright's embrace as he continues to sleep. Bright kisses his cheeks repeatedly, saying sweet nothings to wake the other up which only annoys Win more but he opens his eyes nevertheless.

"You wrecked my body. Shouldn't you be more considerate to me?" Win asks gruffly to which Bright pouts, giving loud smooches on his swollen lips.

"Sorry babe, I just missed you so much."

"Me or my body?" Win raises a brow.

"Both" Bright says, chuckling, "but more than anything, I missed this grumpiness."

Win smiles sarcastically, before shoving him away and starts putting his clothes on.

"Are you going to the ball night?" Bright finally asks what he has been pressed about for a few days already.

"Yeah" Win says absent mindedly, buttoning his shirt, "aren't you coming too?"

"No."

"Why not?" Win asks, fixing his hair in the looking glass, "I thought senior faculties are also invited."

"I have to meet the daughter of mom's colleague" Bright says, crossing his fingers under the blanket, dreading his boyfriend's fury.

But Win doesn't shout like he did that one time they had a fight but he simply hums, still checking himself in mirror.

"Alright" he says, smiling, "will see you after weekend?"

Bright frowns, "is Fong going with you?"

Win snorts, sitting at the edge of the bed before putting his socks on.

"He asked Earn out. They're going together. Finally that fucker found himself a girlfriend."

Bright nods and asks carefully, "what about you?"

"Right" Win says, "I forgot to tell you. You remember Luke? I bet you don't, he's from French faculty. Must have taken a class or two of yours."

"What about him?" Bright asks, his heart hammering against his chest with trepidation.

"Well, he asked me if I could go to the ball night with him so we could get the free couple passes" and then chuckles, "he's crazy. But also funny which is why I agreed."

"Wha- you did not!" Bright squeals, "why would you do that?"

Win shrugs, "why not? You know how much I love parties and it's my own graduation night. Don't you want me to enjoy?"

"Of course I want you to enjoy, babe" Bright mumbles, "but..."

The words die in his mouth as he clams up, biting his lips.

Win casts side glances at Bright who's looking at his hands, crestfallen and deep in thoughts.

Sighing, he ceases his ministrations and turns to Bright.

"You don't want me to go with Luke, do you?" He asks, his tone serious and Bright shakes his head hysterically.

"I don't want you to go with him."

"Then don't let me" Win presses.

"What do you mean?" Bright frowns.

"Don't go on any more blind dates, Mr. Chivaaree. Come with me to the ball night."

Bright simply stares at Win because Win asking him not to go on blind dates is a big deal because even though Win hates it, he has never talked about it before.

Win's expressions soften as he looks at dejected Bright and he isn't enjoying any of this but this has to be done. He takes Bright's face in his palms, rubbing their noses together, a gesture that has unconsciously become a sign of assurance whenever one of them feels low.

"I'm going to start a new chapter of my life" Win says, "and I don't want to keep hiding anymore. I also don't want to shout and tell everyone about us. I just want us to be free. To be able to go out on dates and be ourselves without worrying about what others say or think. And you know we can't do that until you let go of your fear."

Bright nods, "I want that too, Win. It's just my mom..."

"You're lucky she cares so much about you" Win says, "some parents don't even care what's going on with their kids."

Bright interwines their hands together before kissing Win's palm.

"You know I love you, right?" Bright mutters under his breathe.

Win kisses him in return, saying he does.

"Luke will probably call me later" Win says breaking the kiss, "what should I tell him?"

Bright stays silent, his eyes apologetic and Win gets his answer. His shoulders droop in disappointment and he forces a smile before getting up from the bed.

"Win..." bright's voice lingers and he looks at Win with blatant hope in his eyes.

"Enjoy your date, Bright" Win says, smiling weakly, "I'll try to enjoy mine."

He leaves, shutting the door behind him.

🖤🤍