TWENTY-EIGHT. house of ploys

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River felt like she had been holding her breath for an eternity, waiting for the worst as footsteps drew closer to her and her friends. However, relief quickly flushed over her when she heard a familiar voice.

"Why are you hiding over there?" Patricia questioned her friends in disbelief as her eyes set on River, Fabian, and Alfie. River slowly rose as did Fabian and Alfie, relief washing over her when she saw Patricia, while Eddie and KT stepped out of their hiding spots. "Haven't you got a ceremony to be sorting out?" Patricia then pointed to Eddie as he and KT rejoined their friends, while River and Alfie stepped around the tank and joined Patricia by her side. "And why aren't you answering your phone?"

"Ah, Patricia, I have never in my life been this happy to see you!" Eddie voiced his relief.

"Look, Denby is on the trail. She'll know we've got Frobisher."

"Can't we even try doing the ceremony now?"

"No. No, it won't work," Fabian pointed out. "If we get one part wrong, we fail. That's the whole point of a ceremony."

"Tonight is too late. The adults are gonna realize we're missing and that we're responsible," Patricia stressed.

"I say we leave him here, we go back, and we act normal."

"Yeah. That way no one will suspect anything and we can just come here tonight through the tunnels," River piped in, agreeing with Fabian's plan.

"No way!" KT disagreed. "Some of us need to stay behind and watch over him until it's time and the others can go back to school and cover."

River, Patricia, and Alfie shared a look before raising their hands and simultaneously saying, "School!"

After a beat of silence, River grimaced. "Ugh, I can't believe I said that without any force."

"My heroes," Eddie sarcastically said and River shrugged. She'd rather roam the halls of hell than being stuck in a creepy crypt with a sleeping Egyptologist who was presumed dead over a century ago.

"All right. River, Alfie, and Patricia, you need to make the adults think that we're somewhere else," KT informed the three who nodded. "Anywhere else. Not here."

"But that means you'll be locked in," Patricia pointed out.

"In a crypt," Alfie added.

"For hours with a spooky sleeping dude," River piped in.

"Have none of you got a problem with that?" Patricia questioned.