Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Jake

"Careful guys, he might drop something!" a girl named Hannah said to her group, loud enough for everyone to hear. Jake heard everyone in the hallway laugh, and tried his best to ignore them.

"I can live this down. Someone else will do something stupid enough for the whole school to hear about. I just have to wait," Jake thought.

A girl then tripped him in the hallway. Jake lay on his stomach.

"I take it back. I'm never living this down," Jake corrected himself.

Suddenly, Jake felt someone grab his hand, roll him over and pull him to his feet. He looked up to see who it was.

It was Miley. Today, she was wearing a red long sleeved shirt, blue jean overalls, and black high tops.

"Are you okay?" she said, worried.

"I'm fine," Jake replied. He turned around again to see Hannah and her group trying to keep in their giggles.

"Somewhat fine," he thought.

His thoughts were interrupted by Hannah shouting across the hall to Miley.

"Why would you care about him? He humiliated you on Friday," she shouted.

Jake opened his mouth, but Miley put a hand on his shoulder.

"Just walk away," Miley advised calmly.

"But-"

"Trust me with this one, Jake," she interrupted, looking at him.

Jake sighed, then went inside his classroom.

Miley

Miley shot a glare at Hannah, and walked off.

"Hey scars, get your friend!" a girl shouted to her.

Miley felt a flash of embarrassment, then anger fly through her body, and her fists balled up by her side.

"Just let it go," she thought, walking in after Jake.

Jake

Jake ate his sandwich, sitting alone at the end of the lunch table. He saw a shadow envelop him, and someone tapping his shoulder. He turned and saw Ethan standing above him.

"What do you want?" Jake asked.

"You gonna finish that?" he asked, smiling.

"Yeah," Jake answered quietly.

Ethan giggled, and smacked the sandwich out of Jake's hands onto the floor. He then knocked Jake's lunchbox off the table, spilling the milk that was in it.

"Oops," Ethan said, walking away laughing.

Jake grumbled under his breath, grabbing some napkins to clean up the mess.

He started cleaning up, and another hand joined him.

"Need help?" a boy's voice asked.

Jake looked up and saw a boy with blonde hair and blue eyes looking at him, helping him clean.

"Yeah, thanks," Jake thanked him as he went to throw the napkins away.

"You're welcome. What's your name?" the boy asked as he followed.

"I'm Jake," Jake answered, sitting back down. He noticed that the boy had a different way of pronouncing his words, almost as if he wasn't from America.