Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Jake ran back down the hill, panting. The runs were getting a lot easier.

He'd been exercising a lot more and practicing the fighting style he picked. And it seemed like he was improving.

"Do you wanna go to school sweaty?" He heard a girl's voice call to him.

He looked back, and saw Miley waving to him. She wore a white shirt underneath an open short sleeved jean jacket, bootcut jeans and sandals. Jake also noted the two flowers in her hair on both sides of her head.

She looked kinda cute.

"Hey, I like the outfit," Jake said, walking up to her.

Miley blushed, playing with her hair.

"Thanks, why are you running this early?" she asked.

"Just tryna get it in before I walk to school," Jake answered, wiping his face on his sleeve.

"You really want this, don't you?" Miley said, putting a hand on her hip.

"I just wanna stop getting beat up," Jake answered, checking his watch, "Come on, we gotta go."

Miley nodded as they began walking. It was admirable how he pushed himself. He really wanted better.

She couldn't help but smile at him as they walked, looking at the ground so he wouldn't notice.

Jake

Jake noticed her smile as she stared at the ground in an attempt to hide it. He scoffed softly.

"Why hide your smile?" he thought, looking at her.

"You really want this, don't you?" she'd said.

He did. He wanted it bad.

It was true; he did wanna stop getting beat up, but there was something else.

He wanted to make the people he cared about proud.

He was tired of the constant pity from his parents after each beating, the school not batting an eye, and everyone saving him.

This was a way he could step up and defend himself. This was a way he could take control of his life.

This was a way he could make everyone proud. Himself proud.

But especially, the girl beside him proud.

The effortless strength she showed, the humility, her ability to listen and guide him were all traits he saw in her.

He wanted that. He wanted to be like that one day.

After all that, he could help people that were like him, and defend them too.

"Guys!" he heard a voice call to him.

He and Miley looked forward and saw Mark, Courtney, and Tony waiting at the park for them. Courtney waved with enthusiasm.

"Where does she get the energy this early?" Jake asked. He heard Miley laugh in response.

Courtney gasped as she looked at Miley, skipping over to her.

"Oh my God, I love your outfit, Miley! The flowers are so cute!" she complimented her.

Miley blushed, looking down and playing with her hair.

"Thanks Courtney," she said quietly.

"Hey Jake," Tony said, about to go in for a handshake, but stopping.