Chapter 8

Chapter 8

United

"So you're superslanic," Jake said, sitting on the curb.

"Mmhm, had my powers since I was born. Superslanium in your body does that," Miley answered, sitting with him.

"So which one is which? They looked color coded," Jake asked curiously.

"When you saw red, it was me using strength, blue is speed, green is agility, and turquoise was sense," Miley explained.

"That's so cool! You could be a superhero, Miley," Jake exclaimed.

"No, I can't, Jake. Just me using my powers could be dangerous. I can't put a target on my family's back and yours because of them," Miley interrupted him, looking at him and grabbing his shoulders, "Which is why you can't tell anyone that I have powers, okay?"

Jake nodded, taken aback by her behavior.

"Cross your heart?" Miley asked.

"Cross my heart."

"Good," Miley let go of him, looking him over.

"How do you feel?" she asked him.

"Like roadkill. Everything hurts," Jake muttered, rubbing his face.

Miley nodded, before bringing her hand over to a cut on his forehead.

"Can I touch you?" she asked.

"Umm, sure?" Jake answered, confused.

Miley scooted closer to him, and began stroking her thumb across the cut gently. Jake saw what looked like turquoise energy lifting off her hands as she did this. Her irises also glowed turquoise as well as she focused. The site of the cut felt warm and tingly, like water was flowing around it just below the skin.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"You'll see," Miley answered, still stroking the cut with her thumb.

She stopped and moved her hands to her lap as her hands stopped glowing.

"Feel your forehead now," she said.

Jake obeyed, and felt it.

The cut was gone. No blood, no scabbing, no evidence it was even there.

"What did you do?" Jake asked.

"I healed you a little bit, I hope that's okay, I can stop if-" Miley stammered as her cheeks flushed red.

"No, no, it's fine. Thanks," Jake said, "You don't have to apologize for that."

"Oh. Thank you," Miley said, "Want me to heal you a little more?"

"That would be nice, thanks," Jake answered.

Miley timidly put both hands on his left shoulder as they glowed again. The same feeling from before trickled through his body slowly.

"Does this happen a lot?" Miley asked him.

"A lot more than I'd like it to," Jake said, looking at the sidewalk.

"Does the school do anything?"

"No, it's 'out of their jurisdiction', but they don't do anything about it at school either," Jake explained bitterly.

"That's rough," Miley said, before realizing something.

"When I walked up, I noticed that you didn't really fight back. Why?" she asked.