Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It was high noon.

The sun beat down on the class as they stood outside on the dirt volleyball court beyond the field.

Balls were placed on the white line in the middle, with each team of twelve staring at each other.

It was dodgeball time.

"All right kids! Line up!" Coach Moran shouted.

All the kids obeyed, lining up in teams.

"Huh, dodgeball. This'll be fun," Jake thought, standing beside Miley, who was stretching.

"What are you stretching for? It's dodgeball," Jake asked.

"You never know what could happen," Miley answered, placing her hands on her hips, and slightly smiling.

"Suit yourself," Jake said, getting ready to run.

Jake was a small target, could throw, and had gotten good at actually dodging the balls, so he actually liked dodgeball a lot.

The only problem, however, is how bigger kids would target him, almost always aiming for headshots. It wasn't fun getting drilled in the face with a hard foam ball.

After Coach Moran assigned each person to one team, he blew the whistle, and dodgeballs started flying.

Jake was doing well, catching balls, dipping and weaving out of the way of the dodgeballs.

"This is actually really easy," Jake thought, picking up a ball and throwing it at Ethan. It hit him, and he turned toward Jake.

"Hey Ethan, you're out!" Jake called to him.

"Alright, you got me," Ethan said calmly, before stepping to the line and throwing a ball as hard as he could, aiming for Jake's face.

The ball hit Jake, and he fell back, clutching his nose. He wiped under his nose, and saw blood on his hands.

"What the hell?" Jake shouted, glaring at him.

"You're out," Ethan said, smirking.

"What's your problem, man?"

"That's for getting me detention yesterday," Ethan answered.

"You hit me in the face for that?" Jake asked angrily, hopping up.

"Yeah, what are you gonna do about it?"

Miley

Miley heard Jake and Ethan arguing, and walked over.

"Jake, are you okay?" Miley asked him.

"My nose hurts, but I'm fine," Jake answered, holding his nose.

Miley looked at him, and then glared at Ethan.

"Jerk," she grumbled.

"What?" Ethan said, standing over her.

"Go rest, okay?" Miley said, ignoring Ethan.

Jake looked at her and sighed.

"Fine," he answered, walking to the sideline.

Miley started walking back to her side, before hearing Ethan start yelling at her again.

"Hey! Repeat what you said to me!" he yelled.

Miley kept ignoring him. She wasn't gonna waste her time.

"I said, repeat it, jerk!" Ethan shouted, grabbing her wrist.