Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Jake

"Jake, give me the remote!" Emi shouted, chasing him down the hall.

"No, it's my turn to use the TV! You've been hogging it all day!" Jake shouted back, running into her room.

"Oooh, when I catch you, I'm gonna kill you!" Emi growled.

Jake stopped at the edge of her bed as he saw the wall. He looked back and saw Emi on the other side, watching him and waiting for him to make a move.

Jake suddenly faked a right turn, catching Emi off guard as he ran left, making a break for the door.

He didn't get there in time, as Emi grabbed his shirt collar and pulled him back, before picking him up and throwing him on the bed as he screamed. She pulled the cover over his face, picked up the remote, and ran.

As she turned the hall down to the stairs, she saw Jake gaining on her, jumping for a tackle.

The tackle was successful, connecting just as Emi's foot touched the first stair.

Miley

Miley hummed happily as she walked up the driveway of Jake's house, still excited about the possibility of sharing her heritage with him.

"I can't wait to show him all the cool things they did," she thought, ringing the doorbell and bouncing on the balls of her feet.

She heard the doorknob jiggle, before the door was answered by a man who towered over her by at least a foot. He was bald, but still had a neat beard on his face.

Miley blushed as she looked up at him. Talking to an adult she'd never met before wasn't on her list of things to do today. Still, she cleared her throat and began speaking.

"Hi, is Jake home?" she quietly asked.

"He is. Oh, you're the girl he always talks about! Miley, correct?" the man asked.

"Yes, sir," Miley answered.

"I'm his father. Come in, come in," Jake's dad held the door for her.

"Thank you," Miley said, following him inside.

"Let me tell you, Jake loves talking about how you're training him to defend himself. Gets up excited every Saturday, runs up and down the hill a bunch, you name it. I'm just glad the boy's going outside finally. How's he doing in training by the way?" Jake's dad asked.

"He's getting the hang of it and he's trying really hard," Miley explained.

"That's good to hear. Again, thank you for helping him. It's made him really happy," Jake's dad said, before hearing a thumping noise.

Both he and Miley looked toward the staircase and saw Jake and Emi tumbling down the steps.

As they came to a stop, Emi got up and picked up the remote as Jake groaned.

"I'm not gonna bother asking," Jake's dad sighed, walking away.

Miley walked over to him and knelt down.

"You okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine," Jake answered, sitting up.

"That's what you get for taking the remote," Emi added, hitting the power button.

Miley laughed softly, helping him up.

"So, are you ready?" she asked.

"Yep, let's go. Bye, Dad! Bye, Emi!" Jake called to them as he and Miley exited the house.