Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Dear Mom and Dad,

"Today, I finally started seventh grade at my new school. A group of kids invited me into their group, and they seem like great people. They took in a boy named Jake as well, who's been really nice to me. I also spoke about superslanic people today, and-"

Miley sighed, tapping her eraser against her lip, before writing again.

"And people are still as racist as ever. The group I mentioned earlier defended superslanics, but it still hurt to see that almost nothing has changed. I hope I can change that when I get older.

Miley sat and thought before writing again.

"Oh, about this boy Jake. Like I said before, he's really nice, and helped me deal with some of the racism that supers face. Turns out, he has his own battles he's fighting. I can tell he's trying his hardest. It's really inspiring to watch him try, even if he doesn't succeed. I see a bit of Tommy in him. A little quiet, but really sweet when you get to know him. I wish you could've met him."

Miley let a single tear fall onto the paper, before wiping her face on her arm.

She pushed her sleeve up and observed her arm, looking among the scars.

A birthmark with the same shield design as her earrings was on her bicep. But instead of an infinity symbol, a sword in a stone was present, and flashed multiple colors before going back to normal.

"I wish I could've met you both.

I love you. Thank you for being brave."

Love,

-Miley

Miley put the paper in an envelope, and licked the seal shut. She kissed the envelope gently, and put it on a stack of other envelopes on her desk.

She put her high-tops on, and opened the window. Before she exited the room, she looked toward the stack of envelopes.

"I make you both proud," she said aloud, before jumping out the window.

***

Miley looked toward the moon as he stood in the middle of the grass at the park, moving her long hair out of her face. This was the only time she could do this. The only time she could unleash herself.

"Now or never," she thought, "Now or never," she thought, before all of the streaks in her hair began glowing turquoise. A glowing, fiery, but gentle aura of the same color surrounded her as she extended her palms out.

Her eyes were still closed, but she could still see in a way. Her environment had taken on a turquoise tint as she looked around. She felt everything; every blade of grass moving in the gentle wind, every car passing on the road, the cold feeling of the metal playground equipment, and every dew droplet in the air. All from where she stood, in the middle of it all.

It felt somewhat overwhelming having skyrocketed spatial awareness, but in a good way. She could feel her environment, as peaceful as it was.

It felt so good.

"Okay, no cars coming, and no people walking by," she thought, walking over to the sidewalk by the ditch.

"Sense," she said aloud, flashing her eyes and aura turquoise.

"Agility," her eyes briefly flashed a light glowing green, with a green aura surrounding her.

"Strength," her irises and aura flashed red.

"And finally," she started, getting into a runner's stance as an electric blue aura surrounded her, crackling with electricity. She looked ahead, her eyes flashing an electric blue as her pupils dilated, bringing a blue tint to her environment. Like all the rest of her power activation startups, time felt like it was slowing down, and she could feel her heart thump against her chest.

"Speed," she finished, before taking off in the form of a blue streak at high speed as a loud BOOM was heard across the park.

She ran along the ditch and into the woods at mach speed, with her vision blurring near the edges and hearing a jet-like whistle in her ears. She avoided every tree, zig-zagging as a glowing blue blur.

"Still got it," she thought happily, before looking ahead and seeing a large fallen tree.

Her eyes flashed from blue to green, and the glowing speed trail behind her did the same. Her vision took on a green tint this time, and she backflipped over the trunk.

She jumped onto another tree, and began ricocheting from tree to trunk as a green glowing flash. Launching herself off of another trunk, she grabbed a branch, taking a moment to swing herself off, flying into the air.

She looked toward the moon, shining bright in the sky, then looked at the birds highlighted by the glowing rock as silhouettes, flying through the sky.

She loved that for just this moment, even if it was brief, that she felt just like one of them.

She looked down, and saw another fallen tree trunk in the spot where she was going to land. This time, a red tint filled her vision, and her eyes flashed crimson again. A red aura surrounded her, and the same color was present as her fist began glowing and crackling with electricity.

She hauled back and punched through the tree effortlessly, hitting the ground and causing a red shockwave to spread from her fist.

She stood back up, taking off as a glowing blue trail followed her , running on the sidewalk toward the neighborhood this time.

***

A cop sat drowsily in his cruiser, checking his watch.

"Just a little bit more before I can go back," he thought, before hearing a jet-like whistle from his right.

A boom was heard, before a glowing blue streak flew across his view, causing his radar to beep.

He checked the radar and gasped.

"768 MPH," it read, blinking red.

"What the hell? I really need to get more sleep," he thought, pulling his hat over his head.

***

Jake woke up to the same whistle, sitting on his bed. He looked out the window, and didn't see anything.

"Those jets are really annoying," he groaned, about to crawl into bed again, before seeing his room light up slightly.

He looked outside again, and a glowing blue trail zip by, blowing the trees as it passed.

"Either Sonic is real, or I'm dreaming," he thought, rubbing his eyes.

"Probably the second option," he decided, climbing into bed.

***

Miley skidded to a stop by her fence, and vaulted over effortlessly. She ran up the tree in her yard, sitting on a branch to better view the moon.

"Miley? What about you doing outside?" her mom asked, standing in the doorway.

"Oh, I wanted to look at the moon better," Miley lied, hopping down.

"It is pretty," her mom pointed out, "But I feel like there's more."

Miley sighed.

"Mommy, will I ever get to use my powers to help people?" she asked.

Miley's mother drew her close, and cleared Miley's hair out of her eyes.

"Miley. I promise you will use your powers for great things someday, but patience is key. For our safety, and yours especially, we need to keep them hidden," she explained.

"I'll try, Mom," Miley said, hugging her mom.

"Good, now come in, okay?" her mom asked.

Miley obeyed, stealing one last look at the moon before coming in.