2

Without Magic

The next morning, Remus Lupin appeared in the fireplace that was located in Elena's office. Having been to the Violet Estate many times to see his goddaughter and to act as a teacher to Anastasia and San, Remus walked out of the office and went in search of the residents of the estate as if it was a second home to him.

Hearing noises in the kitchen, he headed their first.

He was met with Elena making breakfast for San and Anastasia. He took a seat on the island stool with a gentle smile. "Morning, Ellie," Remus said softly, not wanting to scare the young mother.

Elena whirled around and smiled when she saw the familiar scarred face of Remus. "Morning," she responded with a smile of her own. "You're here just in time for breakfast."

"Where's Ana? I thought she would be sitting in front of the fireplace anxiously waiting for me to arrive," Remus chuckled.

"She was too excited that she couldn't fall asleep until 1 in the morning," Elena laughed as she remembered the night before and the fuss that Anastasia was making. "I'm afraid she's still out like a light."

Remus laughed. "You know, that's exactly how Roger was like the night before his first date with your sister," he reminisced. "He ended up waking up around noon and missed the Hogsmede trip. Ilana ended up staying behind and they didn't have a choice but to have their first date at Hogwarts. He was so upset that he ruined the date. Ana's more like her father than I realize."

Elena smiled but Remus noticed that it wasn't quite reaching her eyes. He knew why: Elena and Iliana were very close, despite not attending the same school. Iliana often told Remus and Roger that she believed that Elena was her platonic soulmate. The one Iliana loved most in her family.

"Hey, don't make that face Ellie," Remus' voice was soft.

"I'm sorry," Elena sighed. "Every time I think of them, I can't help but think that she should be here watching Ana grow up. They should have been the ones that shared the excitement of Ana getting her Hogwarts letter, not me. It should've been them to take Ana to Diagon Alley and tell her stories about Hogwarts. I-I can't do anything for her- for them."

"That's not true Ellie, and you know that," Remus reassured the young mother.

"But, it is the truth. If they have questions about Hogwarts, I can't answer it for them. If the Death Eaters come around I can't protect them," Elena let out a frustrated sigh. "If only I was like the rest of my family-"

"Ellie," Remus was a little more stern than before. "Listen to me. You're doing unbelievably well. As a young single mother of two, you raised them into wonderful, kind and caring people. And you did all that without magic. You don't need magic to love them. You don't need magic to teach them the most important things in life. Ana and San are both very lucky to have you as their guardian."

"Thanks Remus," Elena said with a small smile.

"I'm sorry, I can't be of more help... with my-"

"Uncle Moony!" The excited voice of Anastasia rang through the kitchen.

Elena quickly plastered a big smile on her face. "Good morning, sleepy head," the young mother teased.

"Good morning, Aunt Ellie," Anastasia said with a sheepish smile. The young witch didn't intend to sleep in. She was just too excited for the next day that sleep just wouldn't come to her.

"Good morning, Ana," Remus chuckled at the wild bed hair that Anastasia was sporting. "Why don't you wash up? Then we'll have breakfast and then you and I can go to Diagon Alley together."

"Without San?" Anastasia asked, her smile slightly falling.

"Did you want him to come along?" Remus asked, smiling how although Anastasia looked almost exactly like her mother (except for her purple eyes), her personality seemed to be a perfect mix of both her parents.

Anastasia's eyes brightened and she nodded eagerly. "San always wanted to see Diagon Alley!"

"Alright, I'll go wake him up. Why don't you go and wash up in the mean time?" Elena suggested. "You don't want to go to Diagon Alley with your hair like that, do you?"

Anastasia's hand shot up to her hair and she smiled sheepishly once again. "I'll be right back!" She exclaimed. "Don't leave without me!" Anastasia rushed out of the kitchen as the laugh of both Elena and Remus followed after her.