thirty-nine

{Jason}

JASON WAS POSITIVE HE STOPPED breathing when he saw Lina's body fall to the floor.

He watched as everyone gathered near the blonde's unmoving figure. She was so still and quiet. Jason had always told her to shut up on their journey, but now that Lina was deathly quiet he realized how much her jokes relieved the tension they were almost choked by at every corner. He had no idea how he had missed how strained her eyes seemed even though her attitude had seemed playful.

"FIX HER!" Jason heard Thalia scream at the goddess. Her hands combing at the blonde's hair, shaking as tears began to gather in her eyes.

He watched numbly as Leo crouched near Lina's body, his hand going to touch her forehead before sliding down to slightly shake her shoulder.

He heard Thalia and Leo say some biting words at Hera, who only stood by, a pained look surprisingly on her face.

Jason lowered his body, kneeling as he brought Lina's head to his lap, his hands brushing her hair out of her face. "C'mon princess. Breathe, for me..." It took Jason all he had to not let his voice crack. "You have to be alive."

A hand was placed on his shoulder and Piper's voice broke through. "Jason... she's gone. You have to let her go."

A glare formed on his face as he could feel the retort building, when he paused. He focused, he was sure he saw it but it could have been a hopeful trick of his mind.

One second.

Two seconds.

Three— there, Lina's chest had risen ever so slightly.

"She's breathing." He announced as he looked at the faces around him.

"Impossible. As I said before as Lina is now, a mortal could not have—"

"Piper, try your charmspeak. Maybe you can do something." Jason asked her.

Piper hesitated. He didn't know why, but she paused before making her way next to Lina's body.

"Lina, wake up." she tried.

"Lina, wake up." Still nothing happened.

"C'mon beauty queen, you can do better than that." Leo bit out.

"You all are wasting your time. Healing is not one of Aphrodite's powers—" Hera was cut off as Piper tried one more time.

"LINA, WAKE UP!" Her power bled richly through her voice.

A sharp gasp was heard as Lina finally opened her eyes.

"I'm dead.... wait," The blonde shot up as she looked around, confused. "I'm not dead? What happened?"

Lina had barely finished speaking when Thalia and Leo brought the girl into the tightest hug.

"This— this is impossible." Hera sputtered out.

Jason stayed behind the blonde and steadied her as she started to teeter, the force of Leo and Thalia almost sending her toppling back. She sent him a strained smile in return and Jason couldn't help but frown a little as he nodded back to her.