nineteen

{Lina}

LINA'S FIRST IMPRESSION OF THE HOUSE: DARK.
From the echo of all their footsteps she could tell that the entry hall was enormous, even bigger than Boreas's penthouse; but the only form of light came from the yard lights outside. A faint glow peeked through the breaks in the thick velvet curtain. The windows rose about ten feet tall. Spaced between them along the walls were life-size metal statues. As Lina's eyes adjusted, she saw sofas arranged in a U in the middle of the room, with a coffee table and a chair at the far end. A massive chandelier glinted overhead. Along the back wall stood a row of closed doors.

"Where's the light switch?" Jason's voice voice echoed alarmingly through the room.

"Don't see one," Leo said.

"Fire?" Piper suggested turning to Leo.

Leo held out his hand, but nothing happened. "It's not working."

"Your fire is out?" Lina furrowed her brows as she stared at the boy.

"Why?" Piper asked.

"Well, if I knew that—" Leo started.

"Okay, okay," she said. Then she turned towards blonde girl.

"What about you Lina?"

They all turned towards her hopefully as the girl shrugged.

"Let's find out." Lina smiled as she closed her eyes and concentrated, willing herself to light up. She opened her eyes only to see her body emit a flicker of light before dying down. She stared down at her body confused. She hadn't failed at being a glowstick before.

Jason, Leo, and Piper let out a sigh as they realized that their companion hadn't had any luck.

"Okay, so what do we do—explore?" Piper asked.

Leo shook his head. "After all those traps outside? Bad idea."

"Yeah, kinda hoping not to die tonight." Lina added offhandedly.

At this particular moment, Lina hated being a demigod. Looking around she made little mental notes about the place. She had a weird feeling about it, she just couldn't exactly put her finger on it and it was bothering her to no end.

"Leo's right," Lina heard Jason say as she turned her attention back to him. "We're not separating again—not like in Detroit."

"Oh thank you for reminding me of the Cyclopes." Piper's voice quavered. "I needed that."

Lina rolled her eyes. "That's not even the worst of it." She muttered under her breath.

"It's a few hours until dawn," Jason guessed. "Too cold to
wait outside. Let's bring the cages in and make camp in this room. Wait for daylight; then we can decide what to do."

Nobody offered a better idea, so they rolled in the cages with Coach Hedge and the storm spirits, then settled in. Thankfully, Leo didn't find any poison throw pillows or electric whoopee cushions on the sofas.

Leo didn't seem in the mood to make more tacos. Besides, they had no fire, so they settled for cold rations.

As they all ate, Lina could see Jason studying the metal statues along the walls. They looked like Greek gods or heroes. Maybe that was a good sign. Or maybe they were used for target practice. On the coffee table sat a tea service and a stack of glossy brochures, but Lina couldn't make out the words. The big chair at the other end of the table looked like a throne. None of them tried to sit in it. Okay maybe Lina did try, but Jason hurriedly pulled her away.