thirty-three

{Lina}

BORROWING THE HELICOPTER WAS EASY.. getting everyone on the helicopter, that's where it became difficult.

Piper needed only a few words through Leo's improvised bullhorn to convince the pilot to land on the mountain. The Park Service copter was big enough for medical evacuations or search and rescue, and when Piper told the very nice ranger pilot lady that it would be a great idea to fly them to the Oakland Airport, she readily agreed.

"No," Mr. McLean, it felt weird to call him Tristian, muttered as they picked him off the ground. "Piper, what—there were monsters—there were monsters—"

Lina watched as Piper had Leo and Jason help her father onto the helicopter. Her heart sinking for the girl, no one deserved to have a parent whittled down with so much fear. Lina not wanting to interfere helped Coach Hedge gather up all their supplies.

She could hear Piper trying to comfort her father and winced whenever he tried to reply. Soon enough all of them were ready to take off.

"Isn't he Tristian McLean, the movie star?" The pilot asked looking confused mixed with faint awe.

"Shouldn't you be minding your own business." Lina hissed at her not caring for her prying.

Piper shot Lina a grateful look and opened her mouth to speak, "No. He only looks like him. Forget it."

"Yeah," the pilot said. "Only looks like him. I—" She blinked her eyes becoming hazy. "I forgot what I was saying. Let's get going."

Lina knew that Piper didn't find charmspeaking people fun, you could tell by the way she held herself whenever she had to do it. Granted the only other charmspeaker was Drew, and everyone knew how that girl loved to flaunt her power.

Tuning out the conversation Piper was having with her father out of respect for their privacy was fairly easy for the blonde. She had other things to really worry about, like that wall she had in her mind, that always appeared whenever she tried to access information on purpose. Not random slip ups that seemed to spill from her mouth more often.

Abruptly, Jason's voice caught Lina's attention as they passed over the hills of the East Bay.

"What is that?" He asked.

Lina craned her neck to see what the blond was referring to. Nothing of interest stood out to her, just hills, some houses, and trees.

The girl paused as Piper put on the com helmet the pilot had given them. Relaying the answer back to all of them, "She says it's Highway 24," Piper reported. "That's the Caldecott Tunnel. Why?"

Receiving no response from Jason, the other simple shrugged it off. Lina being ever so curious leaned over once more to try and see what could have caught his attention. Seeing nothing once again the blond shook her head and decided to concentrate on a thread from her shirt.

Had she kept looking she would have seen an almost shimmer of where the sun hit something, exposing what seemed to almost be the Mist trying to cover a hidden secret. Like a clue meant only for her.

Air traffic control didn't want an unscheduled helicopter land at the Oakland airport. Until Piper got her hands on the radio and then it was perfectly fine. They had landed on the tarmac, and everyone turned towards Piper. Unease swimming in their eyes.