thirteen

{Lina}

LINA WAS AFRAID they were going way too fast. It was hard keeping up with wind that was for sure. It felt like she was on a malfunctioning rollercoaster ride with no safety or brakes.

"Speed up!" Jason urged.

"Bro," Leo said, "if I get any closer, he'll spot us. Bronze dragon ain't exactly a stealth plane."

"Slow down!" Piper yelped.

"Yeah, I agree with Piper. Slow down please." Lina said wrapping her arms around Jason's waist again, she didn't want to fall off.

The storm spirit dove into the grid of downtown streets. Festus tried to follow, but his wingspan was way too wide. His left wing clipped the edge of a building, slicing off a stone gargoyle before Leo pulled up.

"Get above the buildings," Jason suggested. "We'll track him from there."

"Let the man breathe a bit you two." Lina could feel Leo's frustration.

"Yeah, do you want to drive this thing?" Leo grumbled, but he did what Jason asked.

"Oh great," Piper said. "There're two."

She was right, the second one was weaving its way through the streets and joined its buddy. They were blowing over pedestrians, ruffling flags, and making cars swerve. Lina thought the last one was pretty funny and she let out a soft laugh every time she did see a car swerve.

"Those guys do not need any more caffeine," Leo said.

"I guess Chicago's a good place to hang out," Piper said. "Nobody's going to question a couple more evil winds."

"More than a couple," Jason said. "Look."

"Oh, that's a big yikes. Are you sure we have to follow them? I'm okay with not doing that." Lina blurted out, her stomach getting queasier.

Lina could feel Jason stiffen in front of her, but before he could say something to her, Leo being the precious person he is, saved her.

"Which one do you think is Dylan?" Leo asked. "I wanna throw something at him."

Lina wanted to laugh and add something but she figured she had already maxed out her 'annoy Jason' card and it was only twelve.

"Leo ..." Jason said nervously.

"I see her," Leo said. "I don't like her, but I see her."

Lina immediately looked over the edge to try to see what they were talking about. That's when she saw the fountain, she had only seen some of the woman's face but it still left her creeped out. She then noticed that the venti had swirled together into a single funnel cloud and skittered across the fountain, kicking up a waterspout almost as high as the monoliths. They got to its center, popped off a drain cover, and disappeared underground.

"Did they just go down a drain?" Piper asked. "How are we supposed to follow them?"

"Maybe we shouldn't," Leo said. "That fountain thing is giving me seriously bad vibes. And aren't we supposed to, like, beware the earth?"