Of All the Times

"Hank I'm going to kill him of all the days he decides to do this it's the day the social worker comes to check up on us." Charles Xavier sat at his desk trying to think of ways to tell the social worker that Ash was missing without causing alarm.

"You know why he's doing this his curiosity gets the better of him." Hank paced the room.

Knock... Knock... Knock...

"That's Him." Xavier sighed looking toward Hank.

"I know." Xavier wheeled himself toward the front door Hank a couple of steps behind.

"Mr. Stewart, how are you."

"I'm fine can I come in."

" Yes, do come in."

Stewart walked in and sat at the dining table. The three men talked for a good hour and a half. then he finally asked to talk to Ash knowing the boy should be home from school by now since he saw Chris.

"Oh, um about that he isn't here."

"What do you mean not here." A look of both confusion and concern spread across his face.

"We don't know where he is."

" I can't stress how bad it looks to lose a child. Gentlemen I suggest Finding a lawyer I don't believe he is in the best care here and I will try my hardest to get him out of your custody. Good day." With that Stewart walked out.

"This is not good we promised Storm we would keep him safe with us."

"I know Hank we are going to need a really good lawyer and I know exactly who to call."

An hour later another knock sounded at the door. The door opened to a man wearing red glasses with a strong build.

"Matt it's good to see you old friend." 

"Professor what can I help you with."

Xavier and Matt talked about the current situation and came up with a legal strategy. Matt decided to stay for dinner and just as everyone was about to eat Ash walked in the door.

"Nice of you to join us." Ash smiled awkwardly at Hanks comment.

"My study now I will join you in there in a second." Ash nodded and walked away.

Charles wheeled into the study seeing Ash sitting in his usual spot in the bay window that looked out into the woods behind the house.

"What were you thinking. The stunt you pulled today was unexpectable. You knew the social visit was today."

"I'm sorry I was just searching for answers because you guys won't tell me anything."

"We're protecting you. You know we have a reason for everything we do?"

"Yeah, I know it's just not fair."

"Thanks to this stunt we had to get a lawyer. Your social worker wants you out of our custody."

"What you can't let him take me away."

"I know that's why we got a lawyer. I need to do some work go get ready for bed."

Ash walked out of Charles' study closing the door behind him. Instead of going up to bed he walked down the long corridor and climbed into the dumbwaiter. It was his favorite hiding spot.

"I didn't mean for this to happen." He whispered to himself. All of a sudden, the dumbwaiter door opened.

"It's ok kid they know you didn't mean to."

"Who are you?"

"Matt Murdock. I'm your lawyer."

"Oh, well what's with the weird looking red glasses?"

"I'm blind."

"Woah a blind lawyer. How do you read lawyer documents?"

"I have help."

"Ok."

"Anyway, just know they aren't mad at you-"

"Yeah, you're right they're disappointed."

"You scared them. You're only 8 you can't just disappear like that."

"I was just looking for answers."

"Well next time at least tell people where you are going ok."

"Ok."

"Good. Now you should probably get to bed."

Matt picked up Ash and put him on the ground. Ash walked upstairs and got ready for bed.

"So, what did he say."

"He was really disappointed. I messed things up. What we have going is great and I screwed it by going out and not telling anyone."

"You're right. Look I'm not going to sugar coat it. You shouldn't have done what you did, but we have Matt. So, don't worry about it ok."

"Alright. Goodnight Chris."

"Night little bro." Chris turned off the light and got into bed. They both feel asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow.