Chapter 2 - A new home

---Caitlin’s POV---

The girl was still in my arms, her head resting against my shoulder while she had her arms looped around my neck. The shackles on my wrists prevented me from being able to use my hands or close my arms, so I had to twist my wrists to the side to really hug the kid. That was what she needed right now.

I felt the sadness enter this gloomy, barren room before I had looked up. Thinking it was just another of those slavers, I had kept my sight on the sliver of sky I could see from my position against the wall; my feet chained to the ground, my wrists in shackles and another shackle around my throat, teetered to the ground so I couldn’t stand up.

The rest of the humans were chained in similar ways, as they each had tried time and again to flee, to struggle against their bonds. I hadn’t struggled, knowing for a fact that I should use this time to recover and heal.

When that presence of sadness became stronger and I heard a shuffle close to me, I had pried my eyes of the sky to come face to face with a blond child, which had reached out a hand to touch my hair. Her eyes seemed ghastly, hollow and filled with pain as she looked at me before I saw something shift through her expression; recognition.

She sensed that I knew the same pain as she did; I lost my home, my family and most of all, my soul mate. I was incomplete.  Thinking about all this, I had just waited to see what she would do and was surprised that, after she touched my hair, she had crawled under my arms and hugged me.

“This one.”

I opened my eyes as I heard a soft hum, barely audible and filled with cracks, as if her voice had been out of use for a long time. Looking up, I realized that we weren’t alone anymore; three vampires filled the doorway, all a picture of absolute shock and wonder.

The two in the back were the owners of the slavery. The man that had captured all of us had sold us to them, although he had to mention that we would become his ‘toys’ if the two owners didn’t buy us. My eyes slowly moved to the man in the front.

He was sporting a suit jacket over a crisp white shirt, dress slacks and shiny black shoes. All in all a classy outfit that you’d expect from a wealthy person, or vampire in this case. The man in the clothes however, made them seem so…plain.

Faded jade green eyes looked at me with awe and shock as his handsome features were pulled in the same awestruck expression of the other two vampires. My eyes flicked from his eyes, to the slight stubble gracing his defined jaw and chin. Although they were hidden from sight, his arms revealed the rest of his hidden muscles and I could imagine a six-pack hiding under that shirt.

The man seemed to snap out of it when I lifted my arms again to let go of the child; if she was a vampire as well, I didn’t want them to rip my arms off for touching the kid. I glanced warily at all the vampires while the rest of the human slaves noticed their presence too and cowered against the damp walls.

“L-Lilith…you, I…what?” The vampire stuttered as he grasped the wall for support, ignoring the fact that his expensive clothes were rubbing against the dirt that soiled the wall. The girl, who seemed to be Lilith, pulled away from me and looked at the chains, tugging slightly at them. Her eyes strayed from the chains to the marks left in my skin, causing her eyes to narrow slightly.