Chapter 14 - "You're changing..."

---Caitlin’s POV---

Everything that I worked so hard for to achieve was slowly crumbling down in front of me. The tension in the mansion was so thick you could run into it, everyone wore grim expressions and if there was any small talk, it was always cut short with a grunt before they went on with their lives.

I could feel everyone under my protection but Ethan’s still needed time to kick into gear. With my protection in his skin, he would be save for all eternity, or for as long as I existed. Off course, being immortal would mean till the end of time but I was immortal, not invulnerable.

My feet tapped silently against the floor as I went out to look for Lilith. She was the one who was taking this the hardest. Surprisingly, Ethan was always seen around Deidra and was acting more cold and distant towards the humans, myself…and his daughter.

I sighed softly as I knocked on the door and pushed it open. The sight was heartbreaking; Lilith was sitting on her bed, clasping my protection between her tiny palms while she stared out of the window.

Even when I walked in her line of sight, she didn’t react or move her eyes. She simply kept staring into the distance with that tormented look in her eyes. Eyes which lost that vibrant spark of life, the joy of interacting with her father or even that spark of curiosity that belonged to a growing child.

All of that was lost over the span of a few days.

“Lilith…” I murmured, gently caressing through her hair. Nothing. Only a small puff slipped past her lips as she sighed heavily.  My gut clenched in suspicion, especially because everything started to change after that horrible woman slipped her way back into Ethan’s life.

Deidra comes here and instantly, Ethan changes. He’s hardly seen out the confines of his room and when he does leave, Deidra is stalking him like a shadow. I was lucky to place that protection on him when I did.

His whole aura felt…wrong. Dark. I almost knew for certain that Deidra must’ve slipped something in his system to react this way. Something dark and ominous.

Something demonic.

“How is she?” Leo whispered softly, making my head snap around to his hunched profile in the doorway. I shook my head slightly as his eyes searched the room, stopping at the untouched plates of food.

The werewolf stepped inside and shook his head, his usually upbeat attitude gone and exchanged with this pale husk. “She’s getting so tiny.” He whispered softly as he glanced between me and Lilith. “And so sad.”

“Off course she’s sad, she misses her father and she feels everyone’s emotions in the mansion. I know you feel miserable, having your hands tied without being able to do anything.” I said softly, feeling a spark of anger in my chest.

Leo made a small disgruntled sound from the back of his throat as his hands slowly fisted. “But why would Ethan do such a thing? In all the years I’ve known him, he’d never go back to Deidra.”