Chapter 4 - Discoveries

---Zadkiël’s POV---

Pushing past the large double doors, I sighed in disappointment when I found Nathaniel sitting in the same posture I left him a day ago.  With purposeful strides, I walked across the room and yanked him up, ignoring his startled exclamations and pulled him out of his house, slamming the doors shut behind us.

“Where are you taking me Zadkiël? I’m not in the mood for this!” Nathaniel snapped as his wings appeared and unfurled out of his back, the joints popping slightly. I glanced at his messy appearance and clicked my tongue in disapproval for one of my best friends.

“How do you think Caitlin’s doing out there Nathaniel? She got kicked out! She got nowhere to go and the only thing you do is sit in your room, ignore the world and brood.”

“I’m NOT brooding.” He grumbled, his wings hanging lowly, the tips brushing over the ground. I shook my head again, feeling a twitch of compassion for my old friend. As soon as Caitlin had breached the last boundaries of our realm, Nathan had let out a pained cry and dropped to the ground, unconscious.

It didn’t take them too long to realize that Caitlin was Nathan’s other half, his soul-bound mate. And he lost it before even realizing what he had. Daring to shoot another glance, I noticed the dark rims under his eyes and the overall disheveled state, underlining the fact that Nathan wasn’t looking so good.

Well, he kind of exiled his own mate, wetter or not it was against his will. That must gnaw at him.

And now I could look at my memories of Caitlin and see the truth, how she always gravitated towards Nathaniel, how she called him Nathan…Although Nathaniel didn’t like that anyone else called him that way, I had taken over Caitlin’s nickname, much to Nathan’s distaste.

I chuckled slightly at Caitlin’s curious and gentle demeanor, how she always wanted to investigate things and saw the purity in everyone. Now that I thought about it, she nearly gave everyone a nickname, and all of us responded to it.

Angels on the street mumbled their greetings and whispered behind our backs. All of them had been present on Caitlin’s ‘trial’ and afterwards, all of them had been informed of Marcus’ crimes against the realm. All of the angels were shocked that he’d exiled one of their own without the Divine’s consent.

I groaned when Nathaniel yanked his hand out of my grasp and pushed his wings up, jumping back several feet with an angry scowl on his face. “I’ll ask again Zadkiël. Where are you taking me?”

Taking a deep breath through my nose, I ignored the slight traces of wildflowers that flowed through the air as I felt the wind brush past us. Nathaniel’s usually deep-blue eyes were nearly black as he widened his wings slightly, threatening to take off.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I snapped my eyes open and said, “Cassiel ordered me to get you. I don’t have a clue what’s it about so if you want to find out what Caitlin’s father wants from you, you better hurry up because he had business with the human world.”

Nathan’s eyes lightened a bit before he looked down frowning, his wings twitching slightly before he walked back to my side. Shooting me a look, he said, “This better not be another plot to get me out of the house, Zadkiël.” I rolled my eyes at him and shook my head before pushing my wings down, propelling me in the sky.