Chapter 16 - Search and Destroy

.

---Ethan's POV---

My stomach churned at the thought of Caitlin in the hands of demons, not knowing what they could do to her. All I could think about were those bloodied feathers that fluttered in the wind, the three male angels frozen like statues.

Now we were standing in my study, Nathan momentarily missing as he joined the warlocks that were questioning my former mate. No doubt that he'd kill her after getting the information we needed.

But still, that thought didn't hurt me as much as it should. All I could feel was the fear and worry for Caitlin as I took in a calming breath, feeling the nausea burn in my chest. My fingers brushed against my lips for a moment, pressing an instant to get a hold of myself before I turned at the other angels.

Zadkiel nodded as he caught my eyes, observing my stance for a moment, a glimpse of reassurance in his eyes. I was glad that I was getting better but my health wasn't important right now.

"Any idea where she is right now?"

Gabriel scoffed slightly, shaking his blonde hairs slightly as he glared at the wall. "Inferno. What we need to know is which circle...if she hasn't been drawn beyond the borders."

I frowned, lips flattening in a thin line as I turned fully towards the stoic angel. "What do you mean by that? Isn't Inferno just another word for Hell?" As soon as I asked, Gabriel snorted, icy blue eyes piercing me from across the room.

"Really vampire, I would've thought the Royalty of your species was properly informed." He sneered but as Zadkiel lifted his head with a warning, "Gabe...", the blond male rolled his eyes.

"Inferno is the section that the Fallen Angels and their demonic spawn claimed when they were cast out of Paradiso. Hell is the original underground full with dark and nasty creatures, all of them foaming at the mouth to get a hand on an Angelic entity."

My stomach dropped at the serious look they shared, but I knew enough. "You're suspecting that she's been dragged to Hell..." At their solemn nod, I swallowed heavily before glancing at my daughter, fast asleep and holding onto the necklace Caitlin gave her.

"Is there any way to retrieve her?"

The door slammed open just as both Zadkiel and Gabriel's head flew up, astonished that I wanted to help. Our attention was drawn to the loud newcomer before we tensed slightly as Nathan stood in the doorway, his wings completely out and a dark look in his eyes.

"There has to be and I might know a way." He spoke in a dark, tormented voice as he slowly stalked into the room. Nathan's eyes cut to me, cold and calculated before he dully stated, "Sorry about your mate, I couldn't control myself after she spilled the fact that she wanted Caitlin gone simply because she felt threatened by her natural beauty."

I nodded, feeling the smallest pinch of pain in my chest; it saddened me that I couldn't care less that my true mate was gone but I figured that after our bond had been stretched and fractured for so long, I wouldn't experience the usual backlash of her death.

What did worry me though, was the hopeless expression that bordered on insanity as Nathan's eyes hollowly stared into the room. He was mumbling to himself, shaking his head as he paced the room, ignoring us when we repeated our question; How are we going to get her out of Hell?

The answer came from an unexpected source. A shadow filled the opened doorway and as my eyes landed on the man, I instantly recognized him. "Leviathan." I cursed, stumbling backwards as Zadkiel and Gabriel positioned themselves so they protected my daughter and I.