Chapter 5 - The truth behind the lies

---Nathaniel’s POV---

Gabriel tapped away on the computer before he brushed his blond hair out of his face and sighed. “No trace of Caitlin in this world, although we felt her energy here but just barely.”

Michael nodded his head slowly while he stood in front of the large floor to ceiling windows and stared down at the streets several floors below us. “I’m guessing she touched the outer layers of this world before she shot by.” His wings twitched slightly as he crossed his arms behind his back.

My own wings were ruffled, constantly flexing as the anger in me was brewing closer and closer to the surface. I didn’t need to know where Caitlin wasn’t, I needed to know where she was. A hand skimmed over one of my outer feathers and I spun in a tight circle to come face to face with Ezekiel, the Angel representative in the human world.

“Calm down lad. Your anger won’t do you any good if you stall the progress of finding and helping Caitlin. Yes, I know that she can’t get back to our world but you can make sure she’s safe and sound.” He patted my shoulder with a sad smile and went to the desk, halting for a moment. “At least you know she’s alive.”

I winched at that as the anger dissipated almost instantly and sadness sank in my stomach. Ezekiel had found his mate eons ago, long before the humans even existed. When the Divines had an outfall with some of their brethren, they cast them out and cursed them as Fallen angels, their wings singed to show their sins and forced to live in the outer circles of Hell.

Ezekiel’s soulmate had become a casualty in a fight between the demons of the deepest circles, who wanted nothing to do with any kind of angels, and the Fallen, who just wanted to be left alone. All I knew was that Ezekiel arrived in heaven with his mate in his arms, her wings ripped out her back and a hole in her chest.

The Divines accused the Fallen but Ezekiel had seen for himself that it was in fact the demons who did it; he had captured one for trial. Turned out that those deemed fallen weren’t evil angels, they never committed any crimes as the other Divines thought. Instead, the Devil himself had managed to sneak into Heaven and corrupted one of the elders, who in turn accused the angels who were later, deemed Fallen.

My eyes shot wide open as I realized something. “Shit! It can’t be!” I snarled, shocking all the present angels with my foul mouth but I didn’t pay any attention to it as I spun around to face Ezekiel and Michael, who were both staring at me.

“Why didn’t we see it? It’s all happening again!” I cursed, pacing rapidly as my wings fully extended, the tips brushing over the ground as they were completely pushed out of my body, my muscles coiling and tensing as the truth started to sink in.

“Nathaniel, speak up! What has gotten into you?” Michael snapped when I kept mumbling to myself and tapped my fingers as if to cross out anything I could have missed. I turned around and fixed them with a hard glare before raising my hand and summed everything up.

“The fake trial. Caitlin’s banishment. Marcus’ weird and foul behavior. The whole lower Sphere in an uproar. Does this ring any bells to you?”

Michael staggered back, his whole expression pale as Ezekiel and Gabriel both gawked at me with their mouths open. Zadkiël, who had remained silent the whole time let out an angry roar as his wings spread out and filled the room.