[0.3] Broadcast

Broadcast

Ava

Michael and I sat side by side in the car. My heart was beating so fast I felt like it was going to come out of my mouth. Gross. I looked over at Mikey and his face was so pale. Like paler than usual.

"Hey, you okay?" My voice came out kind of raspy from screaming like a maniac on the way here.

"Yea, how about you?" He looked away from the group gathering their things as quickly as possible and looked at me directly in the eyes.

"Not really. My heart isn't beating at it's normal rate and I just can't get the image out if my head. That was all types of fucked up."

He pulled me in for a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he tightened his grip on my waist. I then realized he didn't hug me because I needed it, he needed it.

"Michael, are you sure you're okay?" I whispered into his ear.

"Just hold me." The way his voice came out in a hushed and broken tone made me want to protect him. I carresed his back and inhaled the scent of his cologne.

I don't know how long we stayed like that but once we pulled away we were on the road again. We pulled away from our long hug and slumped in our seats.

"So what exactly happened?" Luke turned around to face us. His blue eyes were bright with curiosity.

I began telling him the story from the beginning leaving out the awkward conversation between Michael and I. Nobody needed to know about that.

"Do you think he was high?" We had been trying to come up with reasons a man would eat a kid.

"Do you think we should've called the cops?" I looked Luke with worried eyes.

"I already tried. The signal isn't going through." Ash spoke up.

"Well we have to get back home, don't we? We have to check on our families." Luke really was a mama's boy.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Michael spoke up so suddenly I jumped.

"Why?" Ashton gave us a weird look through the reer-veiw mirror.

"Turn the radio on."

I looked at Michael suspiciously until he gave me the what the fuck  expression. The four of us listened to a man talking about some nuclear waste buried underground that finally leaked through to the roots of some crops on a nearby farm. Then the crops were delivered to a supermarket where everyone bought them, ate them, and became savages.

~"We advise everyone to stay indoors."~

"What are we gonna do?" I started to panic as Michael hugged gave me another tight hug.

I checked my phone to see if it was still working. I only had two bars but whatever. I quickly texted my group chat with Jen and Riley.

Me

Jen
yea it's pretty sad and fyi it's called a broadcast

Me
whatever. is everyone okay over there?

C- yea except Riley she's on full panic mode

L- give her some water maybe that will help take care i gtg : - )

C- i hope that works. bye

I put my phone away and ran my hands through my hair. The car suddenly felt stuffy so I rolled a window down. The breeze felt good against my skin. I opened my eyes and saw that the road was littered with junk as if no one had traveled through here in days. How long has this Zombie Apocalypse been going on for anyway?