Chapter 5: An Ancient Story

'Thoughts'

In the middle of the night, two children were sitting quietly, one looking out the window while the other was reading a book.

"Kim, you really like reading, don't you?" asked the child who was leaning against the window, turning to face his baby brother.

"It's... entertaining."

"I see."

The older twin quietly approached his younger brother, who was sitting on the couch.

Kim felt someone patting his head. He looked up and saw Cale looking at him softly.

"Kim, why don't you continue reading that tomorrow? It's quite late. "

"In just a bit, hyung"

Cale looked at his brother disapprovingly, and then quickly took the book he was reading, being sure to put a mark on the page he was on before closing it and setting it aside.

Kim, not expecting that, could only look at his brother deadpan, "Hyung..."

"Why don't I tell you a bedtime story instead?" asked Cale, sitting beside his brother.

Kim was not amused at all. "Please stop treating me like a child."

"It's a story about the ancient times," Cale continued to talk, clearly ignoring his brother's disbelieving look.

Kim sighed, quickly giving up, knowing that his brother wouldn't listen to him and just relaxed and listened. Cale looked at him amusingly before patting his brother's head again as an apology.

"A long time ago, it was believed that certain people had ancient powers. They were strong, so much so that many admired and feared them. However, they lived a life full of sorrow and regret, a life that was quickly taken from them as they were murdered mercilessly or were left to die. In their last moments, they left their powers with the hope that someone would pick them up and continue their will. "

Kim got interested, but he didn't like the part about continuing someone's own will. It sounds bothersome.

Cale saw his brother's disgruntled expression and couldn't help but chuckle.

"One of them starved to death. She was chased away because she couldn't stop eating, " Cale said sadly.

"She was left wondering, until she found a place filled with dark mana. She couldn't leave and do nothing, so she... she ate it. She ate and ate until nothing was left... She's a very admirable person. Even so, she was left very weak... she couldn't even stand, and she was still hungry... So hungry that she tried to eat the dirt, but it wasn't enough, so she died starving. "

He looked and saw his brother, who seemed to be thinking deeply, and Cale could understand.

He was someone who had experienced it himself.

____________________________________________________

Hunger.

The desperation to eat something.

Anything.

Cale remembered starving on the days that he couldn't eat. It was painful. He recalled feeling like his insides were trying to eat him inside out. His movements slowed down, even his thoughts became slower.