Trust

Upon realizing he would not be abandoned, Blaze's protective shield loosened. Although it was still there, he smiled a bit more, and was less hesitant to ask for the what he needed.

As what felt like a final test, the shape shifter finally decided to bring Alonso over on the weekend.

Abigail was out at work, but Arthur was delighted to formally meet the boy. Although, even with the best of intentions, he was navigating blindly.

Lucas had been taken at an age where he still needed parental supervision to have fun. Blaze and Austin were old enough that they could only have fun without it. If Arthur wanted to cause a good impression, he figured he would have to walk a fine line between involved and overbearing...

Sunday afternoon, as soon as he heard the front door open, the man headed out of the living room and into the hall. He was admittedly unprepared, as he had thought Alonso would only arrive later in the day, but he received him with a smile.

The blonde boy stood in the doorway, with slightly raised eyebrows. Blaze looked just as apprehensive, holding the door open. Despite the shape shifter's darker brown skin colour, Arthur was sure he was blushing.

-C-come in-Blaze said.

Alonso did so in small steps.

-Hello!-Arthur chirped.-It's very nice to meet you, Alonso. I'm Michael. Don't mind the emptiness, we're still moving in.

The blonde couldn't shake the oddness of being at a teacher's house. Mr. García was not intimidating, despite his size and thick facial hair. Still, the sight of him in a fluffy lavender colored hoodie and sweatpants was something to behold.

It took Alonso a second to figure out what the appropriate response would be.

-Hi, Mr. García. It's no problem at all. Welcome to the neighborhood, by the way. If you need anything, my house is just down the street. I mean it. We're a very tight knit community.

The look Arthur and Blaze exchanged didn't entirely miss Alonso.

-So I've heard-the man smiled.

It was evident that the humour in his tone went beyond that situation. There was a moment of silence during which no one knew how to respond. Blaze stepped forward.

-C-c-can we g-go up-upstairs now?

The man smiled.

-Of course! Go on.

The two boys disappeared. That was the healer's cue to begin on the first part of the plan to make his impression on Alonso.

In the kitchen, Arthur found the older teenager.

The past few days, Austin had been all whispers and mumbles with Abigail and Blaze. It had taken the healer a couple of days to realize the boy had been painting. When asked about it, Abi said she would not be the one to break Austin's trust. Arthur couldn't argue with that...

Didn't mean he wouldn't try to coax it out of the boy.

-What do you have there?

Austin glanced furtively over his shoulder.

-None of your fucking business.

Arthur sighed. By the time he was leaning on the table, close enough to see, Austin was already packing up his notebook. The man didn't even have the time to question it before the doorbell rang. Envy actually rose in him as he watched Austin sneak out the back door.

-I'll be at the park-the charmer warned dryly.

That just left Arthur to answer the door.

It was Maya, armed with a plate of muffins. That time, the neighbour did not wait until after greeting him to start peeking into the house.