Trepidation (Pt. 1/2)

After being woken up, Blaze headed downstairs for a glass of water to compose himself. Arthur followed, but the boy had a knack for the silent treatment, and barely responded to the healer. Slightly hurt, the man opted to leave him alone, with the parting gift of a kiss on the top of his head. Blaze didn't outwardly react, but it only made him feel worse, mainly about his behavior.

When the man left, Austin decided he couldn't sleep without also attempting to help.

–Blaze?—he called, in a whisper.

No response.

–Blaze?

When he turned to see if the shifter had fallen asleep, it became apparent that he could hear him. His eyes were open, although sad, and he was actually facing Austin.

–You can come lay with me if you want—the charmer offered quietly, despite himself.

Blaze didn't respond. He turned to the other side and closed his eyes. He didn't sleep another wink the rest of the night.

The next morning, Nikki chose Arthur for company on the way to school.

–Sooo, Mr. García —Nikki said, enunciating the fake name funny.

He chuckled.

–Yes, Nikki?

–What can you and your wife do?

After glancing around to ensure it was just them listening in, the man lowered his tone for good measure.

–Abi has super strength, and I can heal with my touch.

–What about... Him?—the girl asked, eyes set on Blaze.

All she got that time was a shrug.

–Why don't you ask?

Her blonde eyebrows raised, making her forehead crease.

–Me? He barely looks at me when I talk to him...

–Blaze barely looks at anybody—Arthur countered.—Don't let that stop you from bonding with him. He's very fun, and I'm not saying that just because he's my son.

She hesitated, but then her pace quickened in order to catch up with the group. Upon seeing her, Austin wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

–What are we talking about?—the girl said.

Blaze's already sulky demeanor dimmed even further.

–Carly—Alonso revealed.—We're thinking of inviting her to hang out with us. So far the approaching attempts have been... Shitty, at best. She's really skittish.

–I think that's a good idea—the girl said absently, watching Blaze fall behind, between the group of teenagers and Arthur.

She let herself slow down, too. For a long, awkward moment, the pair walked side by side.

–So...—Nikki finally broke the silence.—What's your actual name?

Blaze actually snarled at her.

–You can trust me—she promised.

–I d-don't.

–Come on! I've promised to protect your secret. Your parents trust me, Austin trusts me... don't you think there's a reason for that?

Blaze shrugged dismissively. That's when the girl's eyes fell on one blonde boy, walking ahead, in conversation with Austin.

–Does Alonso know?—no response.—He really cares about you, you know?