Together

It was May 23rd. Always fucking May 23rd. It used to be Abi and Arthur's favourite day of year. Lucas's too. Before Christmas or Halloween, it was always May 23rd.

It snuck up on the couple this particular year. One moment, they were cozily reading in the living room of their new house, the next it was May 23rd.

Abi felt it in the air as soon as she opened her eyes. She sighed, relieved she had asked for the day off in advance. She knew instinctively that Arthur had not been as forward sighted. The healer would not be able to get out of bed, so the first thing she did upon dragging herself upright was to call the school. She called in sick for her husband, planted a kiss on his forehead, and headed downstairs.

May 23rd, she thought bitterly, as she stirred her coffee. It was painful, both for the yearning to have their child close, and for the fact that they had to witness each other's suffering. Lucas was certainly somewhere, out there.

Abi always questioned whether he remembered his birthday. Last she had heard of him, he was a weapon... Logically, there was no use for birthday celebrations for a weapon. She knew that. But she still hoped they at least got him a little cake. A candle to blow out. Some happy birthday wishes, even if in passing. Nowhere near what he deserved, but something. Abigail knew these people had no love for her child, and a part of her still clung to the hope that they were treating him somewhat well.

Carlisle was the first to enter the kitchen. They were surprised the woman didn't even look their way.

–Good morning—the memory manipulator said.

A grunt was the only response they got.

–Is everything alright?—the memory manipulator asked cautiously.

For the first time, Abi actually looked at them. The sight of the kid, standing in the middle of the kitchen with a frown on their face, made her sigh quietly.

–I'm fine—she said, expressionlessly.

It profoundly disturbed Carlisle. They grabbed an apple and headed back to the living room. That's when they sighted Blaze, heading downstairs. Before he could enter the kitchen, the other had him seized by the arm.

–Something's up with Abi.

A crease showed up between the boy's eyebrows.

–She's in there, alone, acting weird—was the lackluster explanation he got.

It was enough to set in Blaze the notion that something was deeply wrong.

–I-I-I t-think A-Arthur sh-should be u-up b-by n-n-now...

–He's gonna be late—Carlisle mused.—We should go wake him up. Tell him something's wrong with Abi.

They bumped into Austin on his way out of the bathroom. The charmer noted the strangeness of finding Carlisle on the top floor of the house.

–Where are you going?—he asked, staring at them with his sleep swollen eyes.

–To wake Arthur up—the memory manipulator responded.

After a short moment of consideration, Austin followed the other two.

Carlisle was the one to actually knock on the door. No response. They knocked again. Silence. The three teenagers looked at one another in wordless discussion, before settling. The memory manipulator's hand lowered to the doorknob. They twisted it, but didn't manage to push the door open.

–What are you doing?—Abigail asked from the hallway behind them.

She didn't seem angry. Muddled and dimmed, absolutely. But not mad at all. Nevertheless, the kids were suddenly very aware that they rarely ever stepped into the couple's room. They weren't even sure whether it was allowed.