Trains

Having Lucas around was a reminder of how long it had been since the Aguados were called mom and dad. The truth detector himself refrained from using the words much, these days. They felt odd in his mouth, just how the memories made his brain feel strange. Like it was stretching to be able to store them. They were his, but most days it didn't feel much like it. He would rather focus on the feelings he did presently have for the pair. The affection and admiration. Knowing there was no pressure from them for him to use the words also made things marginally lighter for Lucas.

That is the fact of the matter; beyond the charades for the general audience, Abigail and Arthur Aguado would never pressure any child of theirs to address them as any specific title. It doesn't mean the pressure wouldn't come to Lucas in a different way, though.

Even though the weather was always dark and rainy in San Vicenzo, and Austin was as aware as any other of the dangers of their situation, he was getting sooo antsy. And he did not want to ask for permission!

Staying home, wasting the days, for almost a week since the group had been out shopping. For someone like Austin, this is becomes akin to torture very quick. As much as he loved sneaking cigarettes from Kiyomi, drawing and occasionally watching TV after everyone else was in bed, Austin actually began missing school. And Nikki. A routine. Something exciting to look forward to. The street. Wind. Water on his face.

So he took to sleeping. He got to bed on Tuesday at around one in the morning, and by the time everyone else was conscious and moving, he remained there. Of course, he had woken up about two times throughout the morning, just to then put himself right back to sleep.

At around one in the afternoon, over twelve hours later, Arthur came in. The man sat next to Austin on the bed and firmly layed a hand on the boy's shoulder. As he started slightly shaking, the charmer groaned and shook him off.

-Leave me alone!

-Come on, Austin. You've slept enough. It's time to get some food in you.

-I'm not hungry.

The healer sighed.

-That is because you're asleep. Once you wake up your body will recognize it hasn't eaten in a while. Come-

The boy sat up brusquely.

-Well, I'm clearly not asleep anymore, thank you very much.

Arthur produced a disapproving look that got the boy averting his eyes. The aura of sulking loomed over him regardless.

-Austin, love...-the man tried again.-How about we just get you a bite to eat and then you can come back to sleep?

-I'm not fucking hungry-the boy reiterated, in a tone that came off embarrassingly like a tantrum.

Although Austin could not see it, Arthur looked at him with deep compassion, sensing his turmoil.

-What are you feeling, then?-the man prompted.

Quiet fell over the room for a while. Austin still wasn't looking at the healer. Then, he decided to talk.

-I know it was my fault, but I really didn't want to move.

Arthur's heart shattered a little.

-Corazón, it wasn't-

-Look- Can't I just go back to sleep?

The tone was petulant, of course, but that isn't what caught the healer. It was the feeling of worry that arose within his chest for the first time about Austin sleeping so much. Although it was much better than other habits, and the man felt incapable of taking a comfort method away when he couldn't even help the boy with whatever was going on. Regardless, he worried.