Task

First task upon exiting Pamela's house was to destroy any communication devices Lucas had on him. For the same reason the Aguados did not have smartphones.

-Did you see any signs of internal technology?-Carlisle asked Blaze and Austin.

The two shook their heads.

-This i-i-isn't a-a t-t-technological ex-experiment-Blaze blurted out.

That got the group staring at him.

-What is that supposed to mean?-Abigail asked, her face screwing up into a frown as her stomach began to ache.

Blaze earnestly thought about it. All he could muster was a shrug. It was something he simply knew.

-Well, I trust whatever the fuck that was-Carlisle decided.-It came straight out of his subconscious.

Too tired to tackle the information, the adults put the situation aside for the time being. The group walked home silently. Halfway there, something shifted inside Austin.

He knew he should be happy for the reunion of Lucas with his parents. There was a sense of bittersweet satisfaction, but nothing close to what he thought he should be feeling. Even more so than the other teens, he had talked to the adults about Lucas. He had seen them cry. Abigail had cried... He knew how much pain they had been in, even before the boy's birthday had arrived.

Besides, getting Lucas back was sure to get him and Blaze points, so they wouldn't get dismembered for disobedience... Either way, Arthur and Abi had their real son back now. Austin truly should be happier for them. He wanted to be, but he ultimately wasn't.

After a shower, the teenagers gathered in the bedroom. That's when Austin communicated his realization to the other two.

-Things are tough-he pointed out.-They're gonna have to move, and they can't possibly keep four kids. And we all know Lucas isn't getting thrown out.

Blaze brought his hand up to his mouth, biting at his fingernails.

-W-what d-d-do you m-m-mean?

The boy knew. He just didn't want to have to acknowledge the prickling. Behind his eyes, in his throat, on his ears... The shifter had almost forgotten how his existence used to be resumed to this awful sensation, with a few happy moments between...

Annoyed by how much being left by Abigail and Arthur hurt, Austin sighed and rolled his eyes.

-It's always the orphans who get thrown out, Blaze-Carlisle beat the charmer to it.

Only then did Blaze actually process. Arthur and Abigail weren't going to be proud of him. For rescuing Mr. Greeny or anything else. Ever again. His eyes welled, and he rushed to get himself busy so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

-What are you doing?-Austin asked in an exhausted husky tone.

-P-packing-the younger boy responded, in a trickle of a voice, so that the tears didn't show too much.

The charmer and the memory manipulator exchanged concerned frowns. Austin was the one to step forward, laying a hand on the shifter's shoulder, effectively stopping him.

There was a pang in Blaze's chest. He remembered the day his youngest sister was brought home from the hospital. He had sobbed for two hours, until his mother kissed his forehead and explained love wasn't like cake. That one person being loved does not take love away from anyone else.

Of course, his parents had never loved him to begin with. That had been a lie. Perhaps the cake conversation had, as well. And now that Abi and Arthur had their real son, they wouldn't want him around either.