Tribute

Abigail got home late that day. She was nauseous and exhausted, but confident the worst was behind her. The plan was to take a bath and try to somewhat relax, before having to tell her husband about her day... She had barely taken her shoes off when Arthur approached her. She knew right away her plans would be sidelined.

–Abi, you have to tell me what Austin has been so secretive about. I promise I won't tell him you told me.

The woman frowned.

–What happened to respecting their privacy?

The anguished sigh he emitted alarmed Abigail to the fact that the issue went beyond curiosity.

–What happened?

–Maya stopped by. She brought muffins and apologized and then she started talking about teenagers and- well, she was actually being homophobic, but she got me thinking about kids and secrets and-

Still frowning, Abigail reached to rub her husband's upper arm.

–What did she tell you?

–Nothing much, I just- I was seventeen, at one point. It was one of the hardest times of my life... There was art I was secretive about, and it was never about good things. It would be one thing if Austin was shy, but he's not! He-

It was Abigail's turn to sigh.

–You know he has a pretty thick armour... It doesn't mean he's extroverted. I don't think that's it at all.

–I know, but he has shown you and Blaze his art, hasn't he? What have I done wrong?

The afflicted tone shattered Abigail's heart. Her chest filled with determination, which bled into her eyes.

–Austin!—she called up the stairs.—Austin, come down, I need to talk to you.

–He isn't home—Arthur explained.—He went to the park and-

–Alone?

Dread filled Arthur as he fell into realization. He fell silent as the color drained from his face.

–Alone, Arthur?—Abigail asked again, smacking her thighs in frustration.

Her tone questioned his thought process more than it did the reality of the situation.

Arthur remained silent, his creased forehead speaking volumes. The woman rushed for her phone to dial Austin's number. The ringtone sounded from the kitchen.

Arthur cursed under his breath.

–You know we're still in danger!—Abigail scolded, putting the phone away.—Why would you let him go out by himself?

–I wasn't thinking clearly! H-he has been so distant, I didn't want to make the situation worse, a-and Maya was knocking on the door, and I forgot about our situation for a moment, I guess. I'm so sorry, my dear.

Instead of replying, the woman rushed to put her shoes back on.

–I'm not about to lose another son, Arthur. Where's Blaze?

–Upstairs—was all the man said, still frozen in place.

–Okay, you stay here with him. I'm gonna go look for Austin.

Her hand was already in the doorknob when they heard the backdoor open. Moments later, Austin emerged from the kitchen. The boy seemed entirely unbothered, sketchbook and pencil case under one arm.

Arthur's legs almost gave out from sheer relief. Before he could react, his wife was across the room, arms around Austin. The charmer halted all movement, throwing the healer a haunted look over Abigail's shoulder.