Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Rose stepped up, between me and the Doctor, to see the scan herself. "Does this mean she's a Time Lord, just locked away somewhere?"

"I don't think so. Even doing that, she wouldn't age." He stared at me, as if I knew. "Who were your parents, Breanne?"

I shrugged. "Like I told you before, I never knew them."

He frowned. "Alright. Well, what day were you born?"

Slowly I answered, "September 2, 2002."

He entered that date into the TARDIS and started flying us there, talking while he did. "I know you think I'm crazy, I'd think so too, but I'm pretty sure when we get there, we're going to see one of my past or future companions."

Rose and I turned to each other and stared. What was he talking about? "Doctor?"

He paused and looked at us. "If I had any common sense at all, I'd stay far, far away from your birth, Breanne." The look on his face was heartbreaking, and I knew what he meant. He had to know if he was alone. If I could somehow turn out to be part Time Lord.

I remembered one name written on his wall that was written in all capital letters, slanted and crooked like he had never wanted to write them. MASTER.

I remembered him. A Time Lord who went insane with power and chose not to regenerate because he wanted to hurt the Doctor. Martha was with him then.

So I simply nodded. Rose did too. We didn't ask anymore questions or get in his way. We waited.

The Doctor stumbled when we started to fly and Rose slid across the floor from the jolt. Me? Well I stayed standing. I didn't even bobble.

"How are you doing that?" the Doctor asked.

I walked over steadily and held out my hand. Warily he took it, and stood up straight. "Oh, I see. Very clever, you."

Next I helped Rose up, though since she wasn't telepathic like the Doctor I had to verbally explain it to her. "I asked the TARDIS if she could steady out for me. She's actually very kind and will do it if you ask."

"Really? Hm." She smiled at the Doctor. "Two rides and she already knows more than you."

He apprehended me for a moment, and I knew that his theory was becoming more and more probable, no matter how unrealistic it sounded. Me, the daughter of a companion of his? Maybe I was Amy and Rory's daughter, and they recognized me; maybe that's what this was about. Or perhaps I was a daughter of Sarah Jane Smith, or Donna Noble, or even just an acquaintance!

I had never been so curious about my parents as I was just then. Who were they? Why did they leave me? Didn't they love me? Would I be able to see them, talk to them? Would the Doctor let me see them, since I was their daughter after all?

We landed with the familiar wheezing, and it comforted me a bit-calmed my racing heart and made me take a deep breath. The Doctor leaped over to the doors, and I walked over slowly.

"Doctor? What're you waiting for?" I asked.

He looked back at me and smiled. "You go. If it is one of my companions, I can't be the one to see them. Past...it'll hurt more than it'll help. Future...well I can't meet them yet."

I gasped. He stepped back, and my legs shook as I walked to the door and took hold of the handle. Glancing back at Rose, I took a deep breath and she gave me a smile.

Outside the door was a hospital, one I didn't recognize. But it was just outside of London, since I could see Big Ben.

I walked inside and followed the signs to the maternity ward. My pulse was slowly getting slower, to a normal pace. As I walked, I looked in windows of doors, searching for someone I recognized. If I didn't recognize anyone, then I'd go back and look again.

Well, no such luck. I didn't see anyone I knew, from my dreams or real life. Not a soul.

So I doubled back, scouring the rooms for a little girl named Breanne. Nothing. Then I remembered; my first foster parent had named me-there was no way I could find myself in this mess.

"The parents just left her here. Don't know why; they didn't even say anything."

I looked over at the nurses, one of whom was holding a baby girl.

The empty-handed one said, "Why don't you call Social Services, get her set up so that she can have a mum before nightfall."

I missed them! I was so close, and I missed them! I couldn't believe it. I may have disappointed myself myself, but I had failed the Doctor. And that was much worse.