Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Rose and I stepped over splintered wood, which I knew was there for the sole purpose of keeping the Doctor out. The space was clean-unnaturally so. I couldn't see or smell or even feel a speck of dust in the air or on the table.

There were cubicles in front of us, then to the left a row of closed offices. To our right was the outer wall of the building, completely solid.

"Alright. Let's see what we've got."

As I walked down the hall, a companion by my side, I felt just a bit of the Doctor's confidence and excitement seeping into my bones. And I smiled. "This is fantastic." We have Nine and Ten and another Rose downstairs, so three Time Lords in all and two companions, up against something that was exceedingly arrogant to think it could take down two of the Doctor's regenerations in one go.

Rose just smiled.

"Can you go check around those cubicles? Could be something there."

She nodded. "I'll be watching you though."

We separated, me cautiously flinging open doors, her jumping around corners as not to be surprised.

I opened the third door. Impeccably clean, like the others. Bookshelves, a desk and chair, windows along the wall. I narrowed my eyes. What left everything impossibly clean? Nothing was this clean, not even freshly cleaned items!

Suspiciously scanning the room, I detected four life forms on the floor. "Rose, is anyone out there?"

"No one but me. Why?"

I walked back out, rescanning the area. "It says there are four life forms here. You, me, possibly your child, though I don't think so, and that leaves one or two more." Recalling the Silence from my dreams, I quickly checked myself over. No marks. Good; I heaved a breath of relief.

"So, whatever's here, doesn't know it's got three Time Lords it's up against."

"Three?" I turned on my heel. It was Nine and Ten. Then young Rose showed up, and I checked my sonic. Five life forms.

Ten gave me a warning look, but I knew what to do. "Lots to explain, very short amount of time. Here we go, just let me here, and we can do this easily." I put my hands on his head, and instead of telling him everything, made him forget. Then I did the same to young Rose.

With an approving nod, Ten stepped around me. "How'd you get in? Door was bolted up with wood."

I flashed my sonic before shoving it in my pocket, making sure Nine didn't see. He stepped on my other side. "Found anything, Rose?" What was I, chopped mongoose?

"No. Breanne was just checking those offices."

"It's clean," Ten said. "Very clean. Unearthily clean. There's got to be something going on here."

"What did Jack say?" pregnant Rose asked.

Young Rose answered, "He said he'd been getting strange orders from his bosses, and a few days ago they asked him to bring the Doctors here. Plural."

Jack walked in then too. "Course, I've only run into you once," he pointed at Ten, "so I knew how to contact the older one. Didn't know you'd be showing up."

"Did you tell them you didn't know how to contact me?" Ten asked.

"Yep. Guess that's why you're here. Whoever's been up here must know how to grab a TARDIS out of thin air."

"Thin air it was!" Ten scoffed. "We were on New Earth!"

I took a deep breath; I was getting dizzy. "Doctor."

"Yes?" the two said together.

As I put my hand to my head, I stumbled. Up, down, left, right, they were all the same to me. I couldn't tell who was who or a desk from a lamp. It must have been exhaustion. I did go through a lot today-two visions, talking through being the Doctor's daughter, flying my TARDIS for the first time in almost twenty years. I needed more rest than I was getting. A lot more.

"Doctor," I said again, stumbling back a few paces. Nine caught me, since he was closer, and laid me on the ground.

"What's wrong with her?" he asked Ten. Even not knowing who I was, he knew that I was special, and he was worried.

"She's exhausted. She needs to rest. Breanne, look at me." Ten moved my head and I squeezed my eyes shut against the dizziness. "Not just rest; she needs the TARDIS. She needs to be in the TARDIS."

"I'll carry her. Key?"

"Same TARDIS." Ten stood up. "Jack, do not let our Roses out of your sight. We'll be right back."

Jack was confused too; why was I so important that both Doctors needed to come? But I think I was the most confused. Why did I need to be in the TARDIS? How was that different from here? Well, besides the obvious.

Ten unlocked the TARDIS door-how long had it been? I couldn't remember. Had I blacked out?

"Careful, Breanne. Stay with us," Nine coaxed me gently.

We walked inside and Ten pulled me over to the jump seat. "Lay her here."

Nine did as instructed, then brushed the hair from my face. "Who are you?"

I smiled weakly, already feeling myself slip away. "Someone special."