Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"Doctor!" I screeched with every ounce of energy I had left.

I stumbled to the ground, covered from head to foot in dirt and grime, heaving heavy breaths, my eyelids so heavy it was an active fight to keep them open. There was a metallic beast of a life form in front of me, a huge sucker on the end of one arm, used to destroy any filth.

And right now, I and the filth were the same thing to it.

Why was I covered in dust and dirt? Well the Doctor decided that it was a good idea (grand plan, he said) to climb around in the vents and see if we could see the aliens. However, we'd fallen out into the trash bins outside. Luckily for us the gardener had just tossed out about a million weeds, so we didn't get very dirty beyond actual dirt and greens.

But we had found the aliens, a species that went by Goractrion, not Janus. Clean freaks at their peak, and deadly, with a grudge against the Doctor. Their argument? He caused messes everywhere.

Now I was staring down a Goractrion, exhaustion overpowering every limb, wishing I'd listened to Ten the first time and just rested in the TARDIS. Well, actually, I didn't. I loved this.

Okay, maybe not the near-death experience part so much, but exploring, seeing the new-to-me species, learning to understand them, helping people. That was amazing.

"Doctor!" I shouted again, and he came dashing back to my side. Nine grabbed me in his arms and started running; I almost fell asleep against him.

"You can't sleep here," he said. "He told me that if you slept anywhere except the TARDIS you wouldn't wake up. Stay awake, Breanne."

I sighed. Did I have to? But I opened my eyes and focused on where he was running. We were on an upper floor of Torchwood, an abandoned one. I guess we knew why now.

Ten came into view, both Roses behind him. "Breanne!" Ten shouted.

"I'm still awake." I gave him a thumbs-up before yawning.

"There's a Goractrion following us," Nine said. "And we've got to get her to a TARDIS. Yours preferably, since she's going with you."

Ten nodded. "Let's get going. What happened to Jack?"

Since he was supposed to be with me, that's where they looked. "He was killed last I saw. Left him behind."

Jack was the only person we could talk about like that without being insensitive.

We continued on, me being harshly jolted every now and again to keep me awake. Why wouldn't they stop? I just wanted to sleep. My eyes drooped, and I didn't have any energy to keep them open.

Suddenly Rose screamed; I didn't care which it was, and I leaped out of Nine's arms in front of them both. A Goractrion was just there, and as it attacked, I got there, saving pregnant Rose's life.

On the upside, I was clean.

On the downside, I was about to regenerate in front of Nine.

~

"Stay there!" Ten yelled at Nine and young Rose, racing me away from them. "Hold on, Breanne."

"I'm trying," I huffed, hugging my arms around my body as I ran. I was dying. If I didn't regenerate soon, I would die. Falling into the TARDIS, I watched the Doctor pulled Rose away from me and shut the door.

"Get back," he warned.

I chuckled, finding it hard to stand. "I won't forget this time," I said. "It's been a nice sixteen years, but I don't feel the need to go through them again." Then I closed my eyes. I was focusing on a hair color.

White hot energy burned through me and I screamed, throwing my arms open. I wasn't tired anymore. I was wide awake.

Then it suddenly stopped, and I collapsed to the floor. "Breanne!" Rose exclaimed, but the Doctor held her back, just in case.

"I'm okay," I said, pushing up from the ground. "And by the way, Breanne was my human name. It's Claire Ann now, thank you." Feeling around with my tongue, I laughed in glee. "Straight teeth! I have straight teeth! Hah!"

I dashed to a mirror and pumped the air. "Yes! The hair! I love the hair!" I was ginger again, with fine redness that sprung up in River-like curls, but lower on my head, not starting at the roots. "Papa, look! Look at my hair!"

The Doctor's breath caught, and I barely noticed. I studied my eyes. "Blue! Lovely blue! Like the ocean! Brilliant!" Then I spun around, and saw him watching me. "What?"

"Nothing, nothing." He walked up. "Do you have two hearts now?"

Putting my hand over the right side of my chest, I smiled. "Yep! Two hearts, red hair, blue eyes, straight teeth! Perfect body! Ooh, I need to weigh myself after we finish with the Goractrions!"

He smiled. "Claire Ann, do you remember?"

"I do." I smiled and grabbed my sonic, flipping it around. Then I frowned. "Hm. Well, guess I'll have to stay in here actually, won't I? So your past regeneration won't see me."

He nodded. "I'll just be a minute." He and Rose left, and I waited a moment, then walked out to find Jack.

Before Ten could get to him, I pulled him to the side. "Jack, I need a favor."

"Who might you be?" he asked, winking. I scowled. "Breanne?"

"It's Claire Ann now, but don't tell the Doctor I said that. The older Doctor, I mean."

"Alright. What's the favor?"

I took a deep breath. "Can I have a vortex manipulator?"

He frowned. "What do you need that for?"

"Just give me one!" I couldn't explain myself to him. If I even tried, he would tell the Doctor, and I couldn't let that happen.

"Alright. Red hair's made you fiesty." He chuckled. "Does it matter if it works?"

"No, I can fix it."

He grabbed one and handed it to me. To thank him, I kissed his cheek, then bounced back into the TARDIS.

Quickly I hid the vortex manipulator under my pillow, and suddenly my energy was gone, and I collapsed in bed to sleep.