Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I held Ian, my new brother, on the car ride back to Amy and Rory's house, since I hadn't held him in the hospital. Yana was sitting beside me, arm over the back of the seat.

And don't start thinking it's some kind of "move" or anything-the blanket was positioned so that he couldn't see Ian unless he was close. We weren't even talking.

I was envious of Amy and Rose; I loved kids, and eventually wanted some of my own. However, I wouldn't ever consider a relationship with a human, and the only Time Lord was Yana. He was...amazing, but I had seen how he looked at me. There was nothing there. I didn't have a chance to consider a relationship with him beyond friendship.

Suddenly Yana sighed, moved away from me, and rubbed his eyes. I frowned, looking up, but didn't ask. He may be asking about my problems, but I didn't want to ask about his.

Instead I looked back down at Ian and smiled at him-he was too cute-but it didn't stretch as large. I felt guilty somehow, like his being upset was my fault. Stupid regeneration, having stupid confidence problems. I found myself wondering if I'd said or done something wrong.

Once parked, Rory and Yana helped Amy out of the car, though she insisted she was fine and brushed them away. Yana backed off, but Rory kept hold of her and helped her inside. I carried Ian, and handed him to his mother after.

"So, Forgiver," said Amy, trying out the new name. I'll admit, it will take some getting used to. "What're you planning to do now? The Doctor may not be so kind as to let you travel with him again until he cools off."

"I'm not going to even look for him. He and Rose can build a family for themselves, and I'll travel with Yana. He said he's even going to let me drive!"

Rory laughed. He'd seen me try to drive a car before. Yana corrected me. "I said she could help me drive."

"When will you go?" Rory asked.

"You've got your hands full. I was planning on now. Yana thinks you're dull anyway."

Amy glared at him. "I am far from dull, Yana."

He threw up his hands. "In my defense, I had never really met a human."

I smiled and gave Rory a hug. "If anything happens or you need any help, gimme a call," I said to Amy as I gave her a hug. "Bye, Ian."

Yana stood up and we walked back outside, starting down the street to get back to his TARDIS. We were silent. It wasn't that there wasn't much to talk about; I just didn't feel like talking.

When we reached it about half an hour later and I walked inside, I asked if he could show me around so I didn't get lost. He smiled and nodded.

"My room is here," he said, gesturing to the first door on the right. "Closest to the control room. The kitchen is there, and I just asked my TARDIS to make you a room here." I opened the door, about twelve feet down from his on the left, and smiled. It looked just like my room on my TARDIS had.

"Thanks, girl," I said quietly, then stepped back and closed it softly.

Yana continued to lead me around, telling me about his library, swimming pool, study, zoo, and assorted other rooms. The layout was actually very similar to my TARDIS, so it was easy to remember.

The swimming pool he purposely showed me last.

Trying and failing to hide a grin, Yana opened a door and a burst of warm, humid air hit me. "This is the pool," he said, letting me walk in. It was huge-at least seventy feet long and fifty feet wide, and up to twelve feet deep.

"Whoa."

"And if you look at the bottom, you can see TARDIS written in Gallifreyan."

I walked closer and peered over the edge. Then the jerk pushed me in! Of course I decided that this could not go unpunished, so I played dead. After about ten seconds he dove in under me and pulled me to the surface.

"Forgiver? Hey!" I felt him drag me back onto the ground and spit a mouthful of water at him. "That was mean."

"You pushed me in." I stood up and pushed him over, so that he just happened to topple into the pool. But he pulled me with him, and we both pushed off the bottom of the pool and swam back up to the top.

I looked at him and started laughing. He did too, bobbing up and down in the water. Little bubbles rose to the surface when our mouths were underwater.

Suddenly he reached out and rubbed my hair between his fingers, looking downcast. "It's just like hers."

"Your girlfriend?" I asked. He nodded. "What was she like?"

"It doesn't matter." He got out and took off his shirt to wring it out. I followed, instead picking up a towel. "I'll go so that you can get dried off. Goodnight, Forgiver."

"Goodnight," I called back as he left, a little confused.