CHAPTER 4 - The Party

Friday 7:15am

Lisa's P.O.V

Some days I just didn't want to smile; today was one of those days.

I'll never forget that moment in the cafe barely a week after my first day at the academy where my smile seemed to fade with each passing second. Replaced instead by simply an unexplainable feeling of curiosity that was edged with danger when the youngest Kim suddenly wandered into my life.

The week had been busy as expected with a sea of change and new experiences made easier as I got to know Rosé's friends. We'd spent each morning at the cafe before classes started and today was no exception.

It was crowded with passersby wandering into the warmth for a quick breakfast and hot beverage. The smell of coffee circulating the air as always infused with freshly baked cookies and high-quality pastries.

Sat eating our breakfast in one of the many booths beside the window, Rosé, Taeyeon, Winter, Yuri and I were busy chatting as I tried desperately to finish my maths assignment that was due to be in before the end of the day. Having been distracted by late night gaming and a movie marathon with my cousin, it was fair to say that homework hadn't exactly been on my priority list.

I sighed a little too loud, disrupting the conversation as Rosé shook her head at me across the table. "Lis, you really shouldn't leave your assignments until the last minute. You're just asking to get another warning on your academic report..."

Glaring down at the class notes, I remembered vividly of the anguish from yesterday. "I don't need a lecture Rosé... and yesterday wasn't my fault. That girl wouldn't shut up, I was just reminding her not everyone gives a damn what she thinks."

Winter tilted her head recalling the incident as she'd been one of the many observers to the scene. "By telling her to fuck off in the middle of math class?"

A girl in my class, whose name was Dahyun, was annoyingly talkative to put it mildly. As I tried to follow the complicated algebra lesson, I may have become a little too frustrated by the bubberly girl beside me. Although my major was in performing arts, the college had a strict policy meaning we had to take other additional classes to keep up with the high expectations of the academy.

Maths class was the hardest for me to study in. I only wanted her to be quiet but my outburst occurred at the worst moment. For it seemed even whenever I tried to do the right thing it always turned out wrong.

"Well it made her stop talking didn't it?" My sense of reason didn't exactly go down well as my cousin's sympathetic eyes met me from across the table. "She was just being nice to you."

Frantically, I shook my head "No, she was being a pain in the ass. I don't like it when people invade my personal space."

Taeyeon, who had been a little quieter than usual that morning, spoke calmly, gaining my attention. "You don't make friends easily do you Lisa?"

I thought for a moment back to before everything changed when things were simpler. "I used to but things have been different since..."

"Since what?"

Averting my eyes back to my notebook, I held back the tears that were threatening to well up inside me. I hadn't told the others of my reasons for leaving Thailand or about my father's tragic death. I'd become accustomed to hiding how I felt so I just shrugged my shoulders and mumbled. "... it doesn't matter."

They seemed to sense that I didn't want to speak further on the matter and gratefully changed the topic to something more lighthearted. Half an hour later, the moment of enjoyment was short lived as a familiar presence approached from behind.