May: Proposed Graduation

Graduation is a time where one’s accomplishments are rewarded. Where you get to walk across the stage and show the world that you did it.  You survived, and came out the other end a more educated, more prepared individual. Ready for the real world.

Sitting in the crowd surrounded by Ethan’s family as we wait for Ethan’s name to be called, I find myself a little anxious. It has been a little over two weeks since Ethan asked me to marry him, but we agreed to keep it quiet until he was able to properly propose with a ring.  So I agreed, only sharing the news with Brent and Kathy. 

No matter what we said, Brent and Kathy both knew something was up, and practically harassed us until we caved.  After all the screaming, mostly from Kathy, and hugs from Brent, we swore them to secrecy as well.

No one knows, not his parents, not my parents, not even Ronnie, and to say that it’s killing me not to be able to talk about it is an understatement.

I feel a nudge on my right side and look up to see Margaret, Ethan’s mother, smiling and signaling up to the stage, where Ethan is about to be called.

Ethan Ross…I jump to my feet along with his parents screaming in congrats at the top of our lungs as we watch him walk across stage. I was so proud of him.  In the last 2 weeks, not only did Ethan propose, but he got a full time offer from his internship.  Things were starting to fall into place, and my life seemed to have a path.  He was to start in June, giving him a few more weeks off, where we planned on taking a few day trips.

A few minutes later, I hear Brent Stratford.  I stand once again screaming for support.  About 2 sections over I spot Kathie and Brent’s mom cheering him on as well.  I can’t believe next year Ethan nor Brent will be there with us as we finish up our last year at Parx University. If feels like yesterday that I met Kathy freshman year, and we instantly became best friends.

After the ceremony, I waited with Ethan’s parents while Ethan said goodbye to Brent and some of his other friends.  Knowing Ethan and Brent, I’m sure they’ll be catching back up tonight or tomorrow.

“So, Emma, I heard the news, I’m so happy for Ethan.”  Ethan’s mom said excitedly.  My stomach did a flip flop as she continued, “Did you tell your parents about it?”

I smiled and looked around for Ethan, trying to hide my shock.  What did he tell them?

“Umm…No, I didn’t…”

Margaret cut me off, “I mean the fact Ethan got offered a full time position before he even graduated is amazing.  That alone says great things about this school, I’m sure you’ll be just as successful.  Ethan tells me how talented you are.”

“Thank you. I’m sorry I thought you were referring to something else.  I actually did tell my parents about the job, they were really happy for him. My parents love him, and knew he was going to do well.”  I could hear the pride in my voice and so could she, because she then flashed me a satisfied smile. 

“So, what did you think I was referring to?”

“Oh, nothing.”

She looked like she wanted to say something but just then I felt two arms wrap around my waist.  Looking up I see Ethan’s chin resting on my shoulder.  He plants a quick kiss on my cheek, and lets go to hug his parents.

I watch as everyone congratulates him, his mom almost in tears, and Liam, his dad, smiling proudly with one arm around Ethan’s shoulders.  Glancing around, I can’t believe next year this will be me, these years have passed by so quickly. 

Margaret turns to look at me and whispers, “Are you ready? The family should all be ready for us by now.”  I nodded, excited to meet the rest of Ethan’s family.