February: Hello Again

It has been a few days since Kathy and Brent’s fight, and they have finally managed to makeup, much to my dismay.  This was like every other fight for them.  They fought, and then made up. I secretly think they purposely fought, just to makeup.

With the two of them not talking, Brent had avoided me like the plague.  This grew extremely frustrating, especially considering we had not switched manuscripts yet. 

I walked into the café looking for Kathy, so we can have lunch like usual, and to my surprise found Ethan and Brent seated at the table already with her.  Smiling I walked over to the table where they were and leaned into Ethan, whose back was to me, “Fancy seeing you here.”

He looked at me a little surprised, then shot up from his seat. “Ah, my lady, take a seat,” he said while pulling out a chair for me.

“Why sir, don’t mind if I do,” I responded smiling at him. 

I noticed Brent roll his eyes and look the other way, while Kathy just smiled at us.

I looked up at Ethan, and he was smiling too, “What are you guys doing here?”

“Our class got canceled, so we thought we’d surprise you two,” Ethan answered looking only at me.  “Plus, I needed some tips on how to wow you for our date night.”

Ethan must have noticed my surprised expression, with my raised eyebrow being a dead giveaway.  “I know you were upset the other night, when I didn’t make it back, but I’m going to make it up to you!”

This got me curious.  In reality, I wasn’t too upset with him for that night, considering everything else that happened with Kathy and Brent. He apologized the next morning, explaining how he ordered a round of shots for the guys, and then someone else ordered another round of something that didn’t mix well.  To cut a long story short, let’s just say he became intimate with the food he had eaten the day before. However, this didn’t stop me from enjoying every minute of him trying to suck up. 

“Really,” I said trying to hide the excitement in my voice.  We still haven’t spent much alone time together since before his rival game; and to be honest I was looking forward to it. “So, what do you have planned?”

Smiling, he bent down kissing me on the cheek and whispered, “It’s a surprise.”

My heart did a double take, as my breath got caught in my throat. “Ok,” is all I managed to say, not able to keep myself from smiling foolishly.

Clearing his throat, Brent interrupted our moment, “Emma, I’ll bring my manuscript to class later. We can switch them then,” he said standing up.

“Ok, that’s fine,” I noticed Ethan stand too.

He glanced over at Brent, nodded, then looked back at me, “We’re going to hit the gym, we’ll talk to you lovely ladies later,” he said as he grabbed his bag to leave. 

Brent stood up planting a kiss on Kathy’s lips, and mumbled, “See you tonight.”

Kathy and I couldn’t help but stare at the two walk out of the café.

 “I’m staying at Brent’s tonight, so no need to wait up,” Kathy said while her lips immediately pulled up into a smile. “There’s nothing better than making up,” she added while throwing a wink over at me, “If you know what I mean.”

“Ugh. Too much information Kathy,” I said groaning at the thought now scorched into my brain.

Just then I felt a vibration coming from my bag.  It was my cell phone that was vibrating; assuming it was a ‘I miss you already’ text from Ethan, I smiled and reached for it.  As I pulled out my phone, I noticed it was a text, but not from Ethan, it was from Derek.  My smile faltered slightly, and I clicked on the message, which read, ‘Call Me!’ I glanced up at Kathy, and noticed she was already staring at me, with a raised eye brow.