January: Noticed

I woke up to my cell phone vibrating under my pillow.  It was my alarm signaling my first class in 30 minutes. I was a light sleeper, so I never really needed the whole irritating beeping alarm clock. I glanced around my room, and noticed Brent and Kathy still asleep in bed.  I had gotten back late last night, and didn’t even noticed he spent the night, which usually meant an argument took place, and he refused to leave until they made up. Did I mention how much I disliked him? He stayed most nights, and practically lived here.  Kathy and I got along great, but if there was one thing we argued about, it was always something surrounding him. Whether it be him eating all our food, coming in and turning on the TV or radio like he owned the place, or him just making inappropriate remarks towards me. He was on the basketball team with Ethan, which is how Kathy and Brent had met.  To my dismay, I regret the fact it was Ethan and I who had first set them up.  That was before I knew Brent, and now all they seem to do is argue and make up; and when they argue, the whole dorm hears about it, because it’s as if a bomb went off.

I tiptoed out of bed, and into the bathroom to quickly brush my teeth, shower and change. I took one last look in the mirror, and sighed.  I wasn’t gorgeous like Kathy; I am much more average, height at 5’2 on a good day, olive skin tone, and brown straight hair that hung just past my shoulders, and light brown eyes. However, I have naturally curved, long and full eyelashes, which seem to make my eyes pop. If there ever was a compliment guys gave me, it was about my eyes.

I grabbed my books and started to head out.  As I opened the door, there stood Ethan awkwardly holding two cups of coffee.  His facial expression gave away that he’d been contemplating on how to knock on the door, without spilling the two cups. A smile was quickly placed on my face as I threw my arms around his neck and planted my lips on his, before he could say hello.

I could feel him smiling as he pulled back to lean his forehead against mine, slightly kissing my nose in the process, “This is definitely my favorite part of the day! Did you miss me?” He asked, as if my kiss didn’t already answer that question.

I took Ethan in; just looking at him makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I can lose myself staring into those bright green eyes. Ethan has light brown hair that is cut short, a lighter skin tone than me and is tall, standing at 6’. But my favorite feature of his, by far, is his dimples; and he has no shame in using them against me when he wants something. I love them, because not many people get to see them; they only appear when he has a genuine big smile and not a forced one.

“I always miss you! Did I mention you are the best, which cup is mine?” Not knowing which cup to grab.

Ethan handed me cup with ‘xx’ written on the lid, “Here extra cream and extra sugar, just the way you like it! Light and Sweet. Just like me,” I couldn’t help but laugh at this. He had taken me to see ‘In The Heights’ on Broadway for our first 1 year anniversary, and that was one of my favorite lines from the musical. We both continue to use it every chance we get.

“Thanks babe!” I said smiling the whole time. 

Ethan went to put his arm around my waist and took a quick glance in the room, eyeing Brent in bed with Kathy. “Is everything ok?” he eyed me watching my facial expression as I closed the door.

“Yup, I left to the library when he got here last night,” I said with a neutral tone in my voice.

He smiled slightly “Ok, good! Oh, by the way my family all say hi. They missed you this weekend. I missed you this weekend,” bending down to kiss me on my cheek.

“I miss them too, and you; wish I didn’t have so much work to do this weekend,” now pouting. I would of rather be there with him and his family, then stuck here working all weekend. “Speaking of, let’s go, before we are late for class.” I grabbed his hand and started to lead him towards our first class of the day.