June: Life Moves Forward

Time flies when you’re having fun; is that what people say.  Well in any case, I agree.  Days quickly turn into weeks, as Ethan and I start the summer.

Ethan started working and loves his new job, he has been working like crazy to impress his new boss, even staying late a few nights his second week on the job. These few weeks we have fell into a routine; him working the nine to five, and then calling me once he got out to tell me all about it.  He’s always excited and sharing all the details, whether it was business related or office gossip. I found this excitement amusing, but was happy he liked his job, even if it was only his second week.

Kathy and I got summer jobs working at the Book Lounge, same place we worked last summer.  It was an easy job, plus when it was slow we got paid to read and hang around.  It was great, and Mrs. Cook, the owner, rarely came around, leaving us to practically run the place.  

That left weekends for Ethan and I.  We planned a few weekend getaways for us throughout the summer.

“So what are you guys doing this weekend?” Kathy asked as she flipped through some books that needed to be restocked.

“Sunday is Father’s Day, so we’re sticking around.” I said watching her look from book to book, with no intention of putting them away.

“Oh, right.  Father’s Day, that’s nice.”

I walk over placing my hand on the book to get her attention. “These books aren’t going to put themselves away you know. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” letting out a loud sigh that tells me differently.

“Spill it.”

“Brent’s going to Virginia to see his father this weekend.”

“Ok…so?”

“He hasn’t seen him in like ten years.  He doesn’t even want to go, but he promised his mom he would go.  I’m just worried.”

“You worry too much!”

This made her smile, “This coming from the worry queen herself.”

I laughed realizing she was right.  “They’ll be fine, they are adults you know.”

“I know,” she mumbled.

“What’s really bothering you?” I watched her as she hesitated before looking up at me.  I see her forced smile, but her eyes told another story.  They were sad.

“I’ve been thinking about my dad lately.”  She looked down at the books once again, as I walk over to her placing my hand on her shoulder.  I forget this holiday is hard on her.  Kathy’s father died when she was thirteen or fourteen years old.  He was killed in a convenience store during an armed robbery. A man’s life was taken simply by being at the wrong place at the wrong time. A family left behind to grieve, and the suspect never caught.

“Oh Kathy, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s just…he won’t be here to see me graduate next year.  And the thought of Brent’s dad not even coming down to see his only son graduate from college, it just sucks.  My dad would have flown across the country to see me walk across that stage.  It just makes me angry and sad at the same time.”

“Yea, I know.  But you know what? Brent doesn’t need him, never has.  He has people right here who are willing to do anything for him.  He’s a better man for it too.”

She nodded, and gave me a reassuring smile.

“Okay.  Enough about me and Brent.  What about you and Ethan moving in together. And why do I hear about this from my boyfriend and not my best friend herself?”