April: Masquerade

“You look great!” Kathie yelled from across the room with excitement.  It was the night of my sister’s masquerade birthday party, and I just continued to stare at myself in the mirror.  My heart was pounding with nervousness, as I turned around looking over my reflection.

Oddly enough, I didn’t feel as confident in my look, as I should have. Kathie talked me into buying a dress for the masquerade that was a little too revealing for my taste.  The dress had a criss-cross pattern in the front that was a polka dot black sheer fabric.  The whole sheer top of the dress was revealing with the exception of my breast area that was lined.  The dress had a very low back, and was fairly open.  Turning around and glancing at the floor length dress, I couldn’t seem to shake the knot forming in my stomach.

I could see Kathie in the mirror; she looked absolutely beautiful in her dress, which was also really revealing.  Her strapless black floor length dress fit her snug in all the right places; Brent was going to have a hard time keeping his eyes off her.

Kathie came up from behind me, and I moved over so we could both view ourselves in the mirror.  Smiling, Kathie came out and said what I was thinking, “Damn, we look hot.”

“I know right.” With Kathie by my side, I did feel sexy.

Grabbing my mask, I begin to tie it carefully around my already pinned up hair.  Kathie and I had the same mask, but where mine was red and black, Kathie’s was blue and black.

My phone vibrated with a text, and I noticed the knot in my stomach tighten. I haven’t talked to Derek since our last awkward conversation, but he managed to send a few texts here and there.  I knew I would be seeing him tonight for the first time in years, but I tried to keep that anticipation under wraps.

Glancing over my phone, I noticed the text was actually from Ethan saying he and Brent were down stairs ready for us.

“The guys are outside.”

Walking outside, we spot the guys talking to Kelly and Darryl.  Kelly spotted us first and started walking towards us smiling.

"You guys look great!  I've always wanted to go to a masquerade party, you are going to have so much fun," she practically squealed in excitement for us.

"Thanks, we've been looking forward to it."  I glance around as we reach the rest of the group.  Kathie quietly stands by Brent, who was still discussing something with Ethan.  Kelly was still smiling, and Darryl, was looking at my dress.

His look was making me uncomfortable; he wasn't exactly checking out my dress, but rather distastefully checking me out, right in front of his girlfriend.  Kelly was too oblivious and kept smiling at me trying to listen in on what Brent and Ethan were talking about.

I glance back at Darryl, and caught his attention. Looking right at me, his lips pulled up to the side, giving me a smirk. He has some nerve.

"Ethan, you are a lucky guy," he said never taking his eyes off me.

This must have finally caught Ethan's attention, as he walked over to me wrapping an arm around my waist holding me in place, "I know."

Pulling me a little closer, Ethan planted his lips on my temple, and whispered, "Are you ready to go?"

Nodding, I looked over to where Kathie and Brent were, and said, "Let’s go."

When we arrived at the masquerade, the party was already underway.  Everyone dressed the part, wearing all black; the only color in the room coming from the masks, and the decorations.  The first thing I notice was how dim the atmosphere appeared. There were lanterns hanging from the ceiling, which I admit was a great idea, it definitely set the mood. Candles were lit on every table, giving it an even more mysterious and romantic mood. The walls were lined with velvet ribbons to create a diamond/harlequin pattern on the walls. Tables were draped with black velvet material, and running down the center was a red runner. There were red rose petals and two velvet pillows, both in red and black, placed in the center of each table, along with wine glasses. The table looked amazing, there were even charms attached with masks to each of the wine glasses.