An Evening Stroll

Giselle lay there on the mattress of her sick bed her eyes wide open. She couldn't sleep at all. Maybe it was because all she ever did in the Hospital Wing was take naps or maybe it was because of the anticipation of tomorrow. Tonight was her last day in the Hospital Wing and she felt relieved. All she needed to do was sleep for a few hours before waking up to a sunny day of freedom.  

However, she couldn't sleep at all. She tossed and turned and tossed and turned trying to find a comfortable spot to rest on. Sadly, none of the positions had worked for her. And so she lay, in the darkness of the cold desolate room.  

She had been awake so long she had taken notice to everything situated in her line of sight. How all the cream coloured fabrics and pearly white tiles glowed with the moon's silvery rays of light. The whole room had an unsettling hum of silence ringing loud and clear in Giselle's ears.   

It was unusual for her to be up this late anyways. By now she should have been passed out in bed. Maybe she wasn't tired enough. After all she had been taking naps throughout the day. Giselle immediately thought of ways to exhaust herself that didn't include much noise. A walk around the floor wouldn't be too bad would it?  

Not thinking over the decision she sat up in her sick bed and carefully placed her feet on the chilling tile. A jolt of cold from the floor shot up from her foot and all the way up her spine. Once Giselle had stood herself up she stretched. Staying in bed for days made her legs feel wobbly.  

Quietly, Giselle tiptoed out of the Hospital Wing. She creaked one of the large double doors open to check if the coast was clear. She probably should have gone back to her bed but now her heart was beating at a racing speed. Adrenaline pumped through her as she stepped out of those doors for the first time in days.  

From previous experiences Giselle knew that prefects patrolled the castle during the night hours so she would have to be careful. Her walk wasn't particularly long, or at least she didn't think so. She just strolled around the grey corridors which were lit just by moonlight. Everything looked especially pretty with the shadows of fat snowflakes falling from the outside.  

Just when she was enjoying the moment Giselle heard the sound of footsteps echoing off the stone walls of her corridor. Panic swept through her and she began to run. Thankfully for Giselle she was very light on her feet so you could barely hear the sound of her bare feet pounding across the floor as she ran.  

She sprinted, trying to keep her breath from not sounding to ragged. Rounding a corner Giselle slowed down thinking she was out of range from anybody. She was wrong. Just a step away was Filch's cat, Mrs. Norris. She backed away from the animal slowly while staring at Mrs. Norris carefully. One meow and she was done for.  

Right on cue with her thoughts the cat meowed and the yellow light of Filch's lantern could be seen approaching. Quickly turning around she sped off only to hear the footsteps of her previous problem.  

"Is somebody there?" it appeared to be a boy from the sound of his calls. He must have heard Mrs. Norris too.  

"Bratty children. Thinking they can just come and go as they please. I'll show them." she heard Filch as he was coming towards her.  

Giselle just cringed, she was going to get caught. So she just braced herself for what was to come. Any minute now the prefect and Filch would meet in the middle to find her bare-footed and dressed in a Hospital Wing nightgown.  

A miracle was performed when Giselle felt a tug at the back of her nightgown and she was pulled into complete darkness. Before she could yelp a hand covered her mouth. Out of instinct she started struggling in the person's grip around her waist.